Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Going For ACTH Stimulation Test  (Read 6723 times)

Tempest

Re: Going For ACTH Stimulation Test
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »

Thank you so much for your kindness, ladies!

The test went well. I gave a blood sample and then the synthetic hormone was injected - I waited another half an hour and had another blood draw.

Rather than feeling anxious/jittery, I felt very euphoric after about 20 minutes after the hormone was injected. It was great! I'm guessing this means that my adrenals responded to the stimulation. :)

However, I 'crashed' a bit later in the day......oh well! It was nice while it lasted! :o

I now have to wait for the results - I'll also be having a glucose tolerance test over the next few weeks, but am not diabetic. This is to see how I respond to glucose as I'm getting some scarey lows but my own guess is that this is due to low estrogen/androgens. Im following a strict low carb/low GI diet but its not improving too much. If so, I shall be returning to Premarin as this is the only HRT that I felt half decent on at a low dose. I'll be discussing this with Professor Lumsden too in just under two weeks.

I'm so grateful for the input from my old Gynae. who set the ball rolling so that I could get all of this checked out - without his help, I would have still been fobbed off by my GP (I'm going to FINALLY change my GP after I get my results - I've had awful treatment at that surgery)! :o

Kathleen

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 03:54:43 PM »

Hello Tempest.

Thank you so much for taking the time to report back to the forum. You are certainly acquiring an impressive amount of knowledge on your menopause journey and I'm sure all your efforts will bear fruit soon.

Wishing yo well.

K.

Tempest

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 06:24:43 PM »

Hi, Kathleen!

How are you doing at the moment? Are you still struggling with flushes and the awful anxiety? Sending you hugs, as always. :hug:

Yes, in my quest I'm becoming something of a test bunny for all things! Along with finding my own answers, I'm hoping to report back anything useful that might help the other ladies here. I know others have had blood sugar issues but no diabetes, as well as what seem to be adrenal issues. If my experiences can point them in the right direction, that would be great! xxxxx

Tempest

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »

Thank you so much for your kind words, Sparkle! :thankyou: xxxx

Mbrown001

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 08:09:53 PM »

You can buy glucose monitors for not a lot. Might help you keep track of just how low you get or if it's just the feeling of low glucose and not an actual reading.

Dextrose tablets are a reasonable standby for when you feel really low and until you can eat something more sustaining. Not for constant use but just a quick fix to stop the do not feelings.

Good to hear everything went well for you and finally you are going to get some answers.

Mrs Brown

Tempest

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 11:04:56 AM »

Hooray! I got the result of my ACTH test today and its entirely normal! Good ol' adrenals!!! :)

I've also received notification that I will now be contacted by the nurses to arrange the 4 hour glucose tolerance test, so i''ll report back on that too as it may help anyone else who is having episodes of low blood sugar regularly and having to eat often to keep sugars up.

Hugs and thank you all so much for your very kind support - it's very much appreciated! xxxxx

:thankyou:

Annie0710

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 06:08:40 PM »

So pleased it came back fine Tempest.  You're probably like me and sometimes throughout all this (like with my acquired double vision) I want answers and in a weird way a diagnosis of some sort so it can be treated.  It seems everything I probably have like rosacea, Raynauds, double vision, there's no cure ! Which really frustrates me ! Xx

Tempest

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »

Annie, you're so kind! Thank you! I'm thinking to myself that if the glucose tolerance test comes back ok that I'm going to have to draw a line under things and accept that a lot of the things I'm experiencing are due to this blinkin' menopause and just good ol' ageing. You've hit the nail on the head though - if it was something that could be easily treated, it sure would be a whole lot easier somehow!

I thought I was the only one who had such powerful adrenal surges as part of my meno.symptoms but indeed not! I messaged Abby on FB yesterday and she said hers were bad but are now gone on the patch/tostrim combo. She's doing very well and tells me she's thinking of quitting the rat race and going travelling! I told her it must be the testosterone. ;) She's also managed to lose 10lbs in weight as her consultant who she sees privately has added metformin (I'm sure she won't mind me sharing her success here). She was very healthy anyway but it seems like she's totally cracked it with this combination.

Now if only we could sort all OUR issues out......Raynaud's is blinkin' painful so I understand - one of Hubby's Ranger colleagues has it very badly and I've never seen such blue fingers in my life! There is some research out there but I don't know how valid it is that Rosacea is caused by the dermodex mite (I don't even know if I've spelled that correctly). These are the little microscopic critters that live in our eyebrows and on our eyelashes and feed off dead skin. We all have them, so don't panic! There are treatments that claim to cure rosacea by dealing with the mite thing but whether this is pseudo science or a load of bull, I have no clue! All I know is that all this rubbish shows up in mid life and it sucks! xxxxxx

Tempest

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »

Oh, and thank you too Sparkle! You're so kind.  :thankyou: xxxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 08:00:33 PM »

Abby did post a while ago here saying she had a new regime with metformin and the hrt so it's great to hear she's still doing well

My fingers (I think as I've not noticed) miss out the blue stage.  I carry gloves everywhere and it still happens, just goes from pink to white and numb then eventually back to pink, my granddaughter thinks it's crazy when it happens.  It's usually even when temp is around 12 deg, so not freezing

How I decided to deal with all this is 'something more diagnostic' will rear its head sooner or later if there is a connection to something.  I do have the symptoms of Sjogrens too which is linked to Raynauds so will keep an eye open

It's just nasty that this all happens at a time when technically it's OUR time after years dedicated to bringing up children xxx
Pages: 1 [2]