Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Not on HRT but advice still needed  (Read 989 times)

Vanessa52

Not on HRT but advice still needed
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:08:08 PM »

Hi. I posted about three years ago when I thought I was on the menopause but definitely wasn't there yet, in hindsight. I'm 55 and haven't had a period for 18 months.

I am now. For me it's a positive experience and after having severe PMS since I was 12 this is a psychological walk in the park for me. In that respect I feel like a renewed woman. But I'm having very bad hot sweats.

As I'm not going to be having HRT I wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to what can help? I've tried sage, black cohosh, macca root and I'm on Menopace plus which helps a bit.

Thanks in advance x

samweller161

Re: Not on HRT but advice still needed
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »

Hi Vanessa, I think as long as you feel ok, you eat sensibly, get some exercise etc then good on you for having a fairly easy time of it!  Nooo, am not jealous at all !  Seriously though, if you feel you are doing the right things, keep on keeping on - although I have read that taking black cohosh indefinitely is not great for the body - cannot remember why though (menopause brain!).

You do seem to have sailed through it all wonderfully so all power to you !

SP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:01:24 AM »

Some alternatives ease symptoms initially then the hormones really kick in so that the lady loses benefit

Some anti-depressant medication can ease flushing.  Would it be worth you talking to a Pharmacist or Practice Nurse to see if this would suit you?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »

Hi Vanessa52

Glad you are feeling better now your hormonal surges and plunges have stopped - but sorry to hear about the flushes. Is there any particular medical reason why you are not considering HRT - because this really is the best way to prevent flushes? Anti-depressants that CLKD suggests would only be advised if you cannot take HRT.

Other ways to help reduce flushes are of course - maintaining healthy BMI - excess fat if you have any, can make flushes worse because of over-heating. Also caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods can also make them worse. A study a few years back showed that cognitive behaviour therapy can help women cope with flushes although does not reduce their intensity - some research was conducted on women who could not take HRT because of breast cancer (actual or risk).

You are still young! I had barely started HRT at your age (just under 54) and have been taking it for 10 years. The benefits are thought to outweigh the risks up to the age of 60, if you are having symptoms. There is no knowing how long flushes will continue and if they are affecting your quality of life and especially sleep, then perhaps worth considering?

Hurdity x