Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New to all this menopause business lol  (Read 2760 times)

And631

New to all this menopause business lol
« on: March 14, 2017, 05:52:12 PM »

Hi I'm 50 this year and hit the menopause late last year, I'm ok with mood swings I fact since my periods stopped in October I have no pmt, I'm ok on everything except the dreaded night sweats! I've been taking black coshh for three months but they dont work so have just swapped to folic acid, I have an appointment with my gp next week to discuss hrt etc but I really don't want to start hrt, can anyone please suggest any remedies for the night sweats? If I can cure these I'll be sooooo happy. Thanks for taking the time to read my post 🙂
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:49:53 PM by And631 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New to all this menopause business lol
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  ::) - have you read the Alternative room topics?  Black cohash shouldn't be used for too long ...... some ladies get initial benefit from herbals etc. but once their hormones start taking over, any good effects seem to be lost.

Why not take HRT?  If you are hungry, do you not eat ;-).  However, some ladies find that a good exercise regime, eating little and often, plenty of fresh air can help.  HRT can really improve quality of Life and the old scare stories have recently been over-ruled.  Do browse round.  Discussion with your GP might help and you don't have to feel pushed into treatment.  Many are still keen to prescribe anti-depressants rather than HRT which ladies might need as oestrogen levels drop off.

And631

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »

Thanks I am due to see my gp soon I'll discuss with her

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »

I take a list of my symptoms to my GP to go through, kind of sorts it into order  ::).  Let us know how you get on!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »

Hi And631

:welcomemm: from me too.

As CLKD says - is there any reason why you don't want to take HRT? It is the only thing that will really help with flushes and sweats. Like you I tried the Cohosh for several months and I thought it was working but in reality it was my own hormones rising and falling. When eventually they had fallen to a low level pretty consistently I then turned to HRT and have been on it ever since (10 years ago) and never looked back. I didn't want to take it either - wanting to do everything the "natural" way - but that was before I understood about menopause and HRT and started reading up about it all - and then realised that the most natural way to take anything to treat the menopause was bio-identical HRT - that is - hormones that are the same structure as made in our bodies ie estradiol and progesterone, all available on NHS. I had my last natural period in October 2006 and started HRT March 2007.

Of course as you are doing - thinking about supplements  - or rather what you take in through diet - is all part of improving your health at this stage. Far better though to get as much as you can from your diet,  as well as increasing exercise, losing weight, reducing alcohol, stopping smoking (if necessary).

Reducing caffeine, alcohol, losing weight, eating less spicy food and taking more exercise have been shown ( I think it is all of these) to reduce hot flushes - not sure if it's frequency or intensity.....

Let us know how you get on with the docs - and in the meantime read up about HRT using the top tabs ( pale green banner) and ask any more questions.:)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:32:23 PM »

If you read around the Forum you will be forearmed, should you change your mind ;-).  It isn't 'giving in' to try various medications for what ever ails us: after all, it isn't 'giving in' to eat when hungry ;-).

samweller161

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »

Hiya And631

Personally am a great believer in the power of the chemical!  Herbal things don't really seem to work for me so I went straight onto HRT when the night sweats started being so frequent that it was making me tired and teary in the working day.  Appreciate it might not be everybody's first choice but its quality of life surely?  You might find that you only need a light dose ie, 1mg or the tiny patch so that hormone doses are kept to a minimum but please discuss with your GP if you are unsure.  Do not google and don't believe the scary stories!

Good luck
SP x

And631

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 09:24:57 PM »

Ok maybe I'm totally confussed the one thing I read on the net is that hrt can make your periods come back! Is this true ladies as I've been free from them for only 5 months but loving this side of the menopause, I've no more pmt either I'm actually sailing through this time in my life quite well except for the hot sweats if I could rid these I'd be one happy middle aged woman haha

ellie66

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 06:27:25 PM »

You are talking about sequential HRT BUT there is also continuous HRT which does not give you any periods. You can ask for no period conti HRT.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »

Ok maybe I'm totally confussed the one thing I read on the net is that hrt can make your periods come back! Is this true ladies as I've been free from them for only 5 months but loving this side of the menopause, I've no more pmt either I'm actually sailing through this time in my life quite well except for the hot sweats if I could rid these I'd be one happy middle aged woman haha

Hi And631 - welcome to the forum.

Although it's difficult to contemplate going back to periods, unfortunately, going five months without a period is really not very long in the peri-menopause stage. It is very common to go quite a bit longer than that before starting periods again (I went nine months without a period before getting fairly regular ones for the next year) or you may find that you have periods closer together for a while. The guidelines for a continuous HRT, where you don't get a monthly bleed, are that you have to have been at least a year without a period or over the age of 53/54 so, yes, I believe that you would be given a sequi HRT. After the initial two to three months the bleeds usually become really short and light.

Hot sweats often begin to worsen as you go further into menopause and your oestrogen levels drop - mine did - although this is not always the case. I started off with night sweats while still having periods but after eighteen months of drenching nights I then began to suffer the same in the daytime too. Eventually I was experiencing them every twenty minutes day and night which meant I had to take spare clothes into work - nothing worse than soaking wet bra, knickers and socks  ;D.  This is what finally persuaded me to try HRT. The sweats disappeared within forty eight hours and the relief was wonderful. In my personal experience nothing else worked to alleviate the sweats.

Let us know how you get on!

Taz x  :welcomemm:

And631

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 09:31:04 PM »

Aw thanks for the replies it's strange as yesterday I had my normal pmt symptoms which I haven't had for months and today got period pain without a show now it makes sense that they might come back, I'll see what the gp says next week thank you ladies for your support

And631

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »

Hello ladies, well an update for you I started hrt and within a week had a period but the jot flushes have stopped yayyy, only side effect I'm having is light headed spells but hey can't have everything I feel very well in myself so thank you for your help and yes I believe in hrt now lol