Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Drs Visit Mirena Coil Insertion Fail - Confused and tearful - HELP  (Read 2234 times)

fedupDonna

Hi am so confused, angry, upset after a visit to Drs this morning. It wasn't my regular Dr I saw today for the fitting of a new coil (last one removed 2 weeks ago and cervix shut down so couldn't insert new one). I was so happy to be starting on HRT today (premarin) but it was a no go trying to insert a new coil so the Dr told me to make an appointment with the nurse to discuss the menopause and HRT options if necessary as I may not be going throught it at 49. Having already seen my Dr previously and discussing and making an informed decision, I burst into tears as the thought of another wait before anything happens is just too much. The Dr then said she would go throught it all with me.
Now I've had coils fitted previously with no issues and no bleeding for 8 years or more. I asked the question if I need a form of contraception now as the coil couldn't be fitted. She said I don't need too???? Im picking up my prescription today for combined HRT (can't remember the name of it). What the hell I am supposed to do? I guess I'll call the Drs to speak to someone about this. Aaarrrrgghhhhhhh  :-\ Thank you ladies. Donna

DaisyB

Re: Drs Visit Mirena Coil Insertion Fail - Confused and tearful - HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »

Hi fedupDonna
I am so sorry to hear about your experience with GP. I am very new to MM and have found the women and their wealth of experience to be a wonderful support. I had Mirena fitted for first time last week. I went private as I was at my wits end with Drs waiting lists and poor advice etc
I am sure some of the more experienced women in this forum will pick your post up soon. In the meantime do something nice for yourself - lovely long bath or wee walk and nice cuppa - I have spent many days demented and often forgot how to take care of myself in the midst of the mayhem and panic. hugs from DaisyB

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »

Sounds really uncomfortable Donna. Can you be referred to a family planning clinic where they can numb the neck of the womb if you still feel you would like the coil?

I know that it's tempting but please don't stop using contraception! You need to be a year without periods for you to have certainty that you wont fall pregnant and as you have been using progesterone you wont know whether you are still having natural periods or not.

Taz x

Peri-wrecked

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »

Daisy
 How have you coped with the panic etc? It's so hard.

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »

Not an expert on coils but did the doctor say why they couldn't get it in? I think I've read on here that women with VA can have great problems with coil fittings. Might be that you need a local HRT first to get everything right with your cervix and can then get your coil back again.

fedupDonna

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 12:29:10 PM »

Thank you all ladies . Picked up Kliovance Hrt to start. Am going to speak to my own GP who is fab as I want to have the merina for contraception. Never had problem with her fitting them. Wasn't told why wouldn't work. Feeling rather deflated after this morning visiting a girlfriend tonight to share some bubbles . This site is a godsend 😊 xx

fedupDonna

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »

Spoke to Dr again, she said I don't need contraception. Will give this HRT a go but also make appointment with my GP to discuss merina. I focus on my breathing or each part of my body slowly when i get anxious.  :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:50:35 AM »

Goodness - I was certainly told I needed contraception when I came off the pill at 49!  I had POP for 12 weeks, which I didn't get on with, and my periods came back a couple of months later (5 months after coming off the pill), with plenty of cervical mucus. 

I had had menopause symptoms coming through for about 4 years.

I would get some condoms in until you are sure.

dazned

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 09:28:05 AM »

I think that you do need contraception ! What reason did Dr give as too any he thinks you don't ?  :-\

ancient runner

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 09:46:38 AM »

How long ago was your last period? If over 2 years ago you could be OK without contraception - but not sure if you've had a Mirena in how accurate that would be as I think it can stop periods?

Salad

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 09:53:06 AM »

I agree- don't risk the no contraception!

If you're keen on the mirena and had a failed attempt, maybe consider having a gynaecologist insert it under sedation/anaesthetic. This is what my friend did  :)

fedupDonna

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »

Last time I had any bleeding was about 9 years ago after son no 2 arrived and before having another coil inserted. None whatsoever since. Will speak to the Family Planning Nurse who's also the menopause guru, on Monday. Regards the HRT my mood has lifted already. 😁