Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause - Puberty In Reverse  (Read 2186 times)

Tempest

Menopause - Puberty In Reverse
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:05:11 AM »

Hi, ladies!

As one who had a rollercoaster during puberty, I can certainly state that I agree with this article:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/blog/worry-and-panic/201503/why-the-menopause-creates-perfect-storm-anxiety%3Famp

It's funny how we forget the teenage angst, mood swings, spots, etc. - and it was all down to our hormones! We all lived through puberty, so we'll all live through menopause too. I hope this helps!

Love,

Tempest xxxx

nearly50

Re: Menopause - Puberty In Reverse
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 10:49:09 AM »

thanks for posting that Tempest, it is interesting. I've read Sarah Rayner's book and thought it was quite useful.

I work with teenagers and was thinking last week about the hormonal impact on some of the girls. We have a lot of pupils on antidepressants and I do wonder if some of them are actually experiencing hormonal imbalance.

I was going through puberty while my mum was going through the menopause and it is a pity we couldn't have found a way to work through it together, rather than spend the whole time arguing.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »

Thank you Tempest  :).  the article makes perfect sense  :yes:.  Its sad that so many of us are not encouraged to look at the connection and are dismissed from the doctor's surgery wth a prescription when we really need information as well  :(.

I don't think I would be where I am today (easing out the other side of meno without too much damage) if I had not found this forum and the wealth of information, knowledge and experience it contains  :hug:.  My meno would have been worse without it  :hotflash:.  It needs to be prescribed in the doctor's surgery along with whatever else they give out.

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »

Agreed! Above anything else, this forum has helped me tremendously (more often when I'm quiet and NOT posting, those are my really troubled times when I'm struggling the most).

Thank you to all you wonderful ladies - I can honestly say without you all I probably wouldn't still be here, and that's no exaggeration! xxxxx

jorainbow

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »

Wow! Thank you Tempest. I'm sat in the garden relaxing  (well trying but my neighbours are playing some utter drivel dance house excuse for music) read this and promptly burst into tears but of relief.  I recall my first panic attack/anxiety/wooly spaced out nit teal feelings around aged 13 and what followed was years of up and down moods, PMT, polycystic ovaries, PND and now I'm feeling like I'm losing the plot too but I know it's hormones. Yes I've had some stress but I intrinsically feel hormonal but I'm only 48 so early doors.  I'm at the menopause clinic On Friday so armed with my ever increasing list of symptoms  (latest is sore tongue and roof of mouth) I'm hoping to not get the response of my GP which is it's not peri!!!!

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 12:35:52 PM »

Thank you Tempest , I read your posts regularly you are very captivating in how you write .

I also was very near the edge of no return regards the menopause/ and in my darkest hours always turn to this page first , not to post just to read . X

Tempest

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 08:50:18 PM »

Bless your heart, Jo. Good luck on Friday - I'll be thinking of you!

And thank you for your kind words, Maryjane! Yes - I'm exactly the same. Just reading all the posts here has pulled me back from the brink too, many a time!

I can relate totally nearly50 - my Mum was going through surgically induced menopause when I was a teen too and also battling cancer. My Dad was great at supporting her and putting up with my moodiness too, but did escape a lot down the potting shed with the football match on the radio. If I was having teen angst, he used to make me his speciality which was a packet of ready salted crisps sprinkled with grated cheese and melted under the grill to console me. Dad brought Nachos to our area loooong before Nando's showed up. He really was brilliant!  :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:52:04 PM by Tempest »