Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oestrodose v Oestrogel  (Read 6477 times)

Stellajane

Oestrodose v Oestrogel
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:02:28 AM »

Good morning all - I've had a response from Chemilines.

"Oestrodose we import to UK, should be therapeutically equivalent to Oestrogel. Based on the equivalency we have a license to parallel import, re-label and sell the product in UK.  We need to re-label Oestrodose to Oestrogel in English to enable its market access for prescriptions in UK, as product is only known as Oestrogel in UK"

So, I understand what they're saying is that they simply stick a white label on the back of the Oestrodose box which says Oestrogel,  ??? which is what we had all noticed.

Make of it what you will - you can either get 'Oestrogel' or 'Oestrodose' marked up as Oestrogel and they "should be thereapeutically equivalent".  I moved house recently and notice that the one pharmacy in town dispenses Oestrogel whereas the other one dispenses Oestrodose. The trouble is, even if you ask to have Oestrogel put on your repeat list, you may I suppose still get Oestrodose marked up as Oestrogel! How confusing. I think my advice would be to ask around at local pharmacies and see what they generally dispense.

Dee46

Re: Oestrodose v Oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »

Stellajane

I have been prescribed Oestrodose & mentioned the recent posts on the difference in Oestrodose & Oestrogel to my consultant on Wednesday, she looked at the label & said it had the same ingredients and as long as it contains estradoil then it is the same product.

I was getting mine from Boots but my next prescription will be sent to my local chemist so will be interesting to see what they dispense

Maybe it would be good if other members who get theirs from a high street chemist & get the correct Oestrogel could let us know then we could take the prescription there.

Dee46

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »

I got my first 3 from Boots next to my surgery as I was nearby at the time which is the oestrodose.

I am now having them sent to my usual chemist which is also a Co-op in store pharmacy so will be interesting which one they will supply me with next week.

dangermouse

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:29:52 AM »

There is more on the other thread about this but we did find different carrier ingredients on the manufacturers website (one company makes both) and Gypsyroselee had found the Oestrodose was more liquid in its consistency and felt worse until she went back on the proper Oestrogel.

However, there could also just be label changes going on for other batches so perhaps just check the consistency is what you're used to.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »

There is more on the other thread about this but we did find different carrier ingredients on the manufacturers website (one company makes both) and Gypsyroselee had found the Oestrodose was more liquid in its consistency and felt worse until she went back on the proper Oestrogel.

However, there could also just be label changes going on for other batches so perhaps just check the consistency is what you're used to.

I have not ready anything anywhere which indicates that there is an official difference between oestrogel and oestrodose. There cannot be any difference in the carrier ingredients otherwise they would be listed on the product information. Also the estradiol will be at the same concentration in each product. Therefore a given amount of gel will contain the same amount of estradiol in each product

There is conceivably some slight difference in the manufacturing process which could cause a difference in consistency between the different products if manufactured in different countries. Because the absorption of gel uniquely among HRT types, depends on the area of skin it is spread over and how long it takes to dry - it is also possible that a difference in consistency could lead to slight differences in the amount absorbed. However there is a reservoir of estradiol and compounds in the bloodstream, which should provide a buffer against slight changes in daily absorption and you would have to be extremely sensitive to very small changes in hormone levels notice this, I would have thought.

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 02:11:27 PM »

There's more info here but there were differences in the excipients as they only have to disclose active ingredients. One was apparently runnier than the other so it may just change the initial absorption rate (which may just have to get used to).

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35279.0.html

Dee46

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:05:58 PM »

Just picked up my gel from Co-op in store pharmacy & they have also prescribed me with Oestrodose, the pharmacist looked on his system & said the only other one was with gold writing & it had the same ingredients as the Oestrodose, but if I could find out what the Oestrogel was like then he could try & get hold of it for me

Salad

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »

My Oestrogel container is white and gold so it sounds like it could be the right one  :)

Dee46

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »

Thanks Salad so the Oestrogel is the one with white & gold then, will have to tell him when I poput back there & see if he can order me that one

Stellajane I was looking forward to seeing a new bottle but no!
I have bad anxiety & ithen seemed from some members that the Oestrodose is a bit different, I have upped my pumps to 4 as of 5 days ago so will see if that helps the anxiety, had a calmer day today but that might be because my period arrived yesterday on time!

Dee46

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »

Just rang the guy at the chemist he said that the white & gold container has the same ingredients as the Oestrodose so should be the same product, he just orders from the supplier & gets sent Oestrodose! So maybe they are all the same just different coloured containers

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »

I still can't find any difference between the two. Is the packaging material of the pump pack identical  in both products ie the plastic or metal container?

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 05:21:03 PM »

OK if the containers are different material this could possibly lead to apparent differences in consistency.

Even if absolutely identical in manufacture and composition, the gel will be likely to be a different consistency at different temperatures - presumably runnier when warm and less so when cool? At a given room/ambient temperature plastic and metal will conduct heat differently and so the contents will probably differ slightly in temperature and therefore be runnier or not. if it seems apparent that oestrodose is runnier then I suggest it is slightly warmer and the consistency might be different. Just thinking aloud here....

I would have thought that any such difference is very very slight and most women would not notice - especially since there is a reservoir in the system (body) to replenish oestrogen levels. It would be interesting to do a double blind study to see if the canister does affect absorption or whether it is just perception!

Hurdity x

Ljp

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 09:49:04 AM »

I have either/or from my Lloyds chemist, depending what they have in stock, really can't say I've noticed any difference, they are both 80grm canisters, 0.06% estradiol (750mcg per actuation)

Mary G

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »

shortie, the Spanish gel is the real business isn't it?  I'm glad it is relieving your symptoms but sorry to has taken you so long to find a gel that suits your needs.  I also like the consistency and find it only takes a minute or so to dry.

I hope you can get hold of some more when you need it.  You could try and buy it by mail order or alternatively have another holiday in Spain! 

Maryjane

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »

My gynae said she has many ladies who do not get on with oestrodose and for me to always have oestrogel , to refuse the incorrect one if given to me by pharmacist.

Pages: [1] 2