Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Nausea and fight or flight  (Read 2662 times)

Starla76

Nausea and fight or flight
« on: April 20, 2017, 07:10:20 AM »

Does anyone else get nausea???

I'm almost 41 and been having perimenopause feelings for quite a few years (it runs early in our family). Periods are still regular but have changed...

I probably feel normal for about two days a month at the moment. I have all the hot flushes, mood swings, joint pain, headaches etc..,

But in the last few months I have had extreme anxiety - proper fight or flight.

This started when my hot flushes (I just go warm, no sweats) started to be accompanied with feelings of dizziness and being off balance.

The off balance feeling has increased now especially with my period, a week before and during, and now I also feel nauseous and sick.

It's hard to explain but it's like I feel a surge inside me as if I can feel the hormones and then I get fight or flight anxiety, nauseous, sickness and feel like I'm going to drop. So scary...

I'm wondering if I have IBS now as well - total health anxiety!

Does anyone else feel like this?!

Megamind

Re: Nausea and fight or flight
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:20:08 AM »

Yes same for me. I'm due a period and always feel nauseous on the run upto one. I take an anti histamine which seems to help.

I get jittery, feel off balance, headaches, joint aches, warm flushes, feel anxious, low mood, emotional.

The list is endless but all normal as far as i can tell.

Try to eat every few hours which should help.

Dee46

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »

Same here Starla76 I get the nauseous & again I feel better a few days a month or when I think things are settling the hormones kicking in & the extreme anxiety starts, I know what you mean I get all jittery, heart starts pounding, head goes dizzy & yep feel like I am going to collapse it is awful, my stomach also knots too, you are not alone, I am starting to think maybe I am abnormal but when it passes I know it is hormonal.
I also can be calm & the next minute go into panic mode & want to escape

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:14:01 PM »

Low blood sugar?  How's your diet over-all?  I had a sudden feeling of acute 'going to be sick', so badly one day that I dashed into a Chemist and asked to use their loo  :o - she tried to direct me to the nearest public convenience [half a mile walk away] then the look on my face ....... I wasn't sick but Oh Boy! I used to know where every bin was in a shop, it was the first thing I looked for!

Contacting NAPS gave me the advice to eat every 3 hours to stop that sudden awful nausea.  That is every 3 hours, 24/7, 52/12! so have biscuits by the bed.  Bananas and other slow release foods might help in the day. 

Even though I know that fight or flight are 'natural' survival techniques the physicality of it doesn't stop me feeling SO ILL  :-\

Starla76

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »

It's breathlessness too  :'(

The Doctor says anxiety so I'm on half beta prograne to try and help with that now as it feels like I am on a boat half the time  :-\

Megamind

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »

I get the breathlessness sometimes as well but my Dr prescribed me a nasal spray for mine?!

nearly50

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »

I feel as if my peripheral vision has gone when I feel like this - horrible feeling that someone is standing right behind you and you can't see them. It's fight or flight but you feel like you need to get away from yourself, not someone else? Also hard to describe but at these times it feels as if time jumps about a bit (? can't really explain it) I recognise all your other symptoms from a few years ago, hopefully knowing it is 'normal' will help you a little bit?

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 12:54:30 PM »

Just to add another... its all normal!

The breathlessness could be a mild tachycardia which I also had but thankfully barely happens now. I live in a flat and remember running down the stairs (just 2 flights) to get my post and then getting back up and feeling as if I'd been running for 10 minutes and, up until a few months ago, I would have to keep stopping to rest when walking long distances which I always did without any effort at all. At the time, the GP diagnosed tachycardia and I was also given the beta blockers for 'as and when' more for the physical anxiety, as you say the fight of flight feeling as if a car is about to hit you, where no amount of calm thinking helps as its being triggered by your hormones and not your mind.

I love reading posts like Sparkles about it all calming down as you get closer to meno!  :)

Starla76

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »

Thank you, it's just so scary feeling off balance all the time!

nearly50

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »

Nearly50, the time jumping about bit rang bells with me, it's a really difficult one to explain but i know what you mean. 

I'm glad you do because I haven't seen anyone every mention it. Part of it is feeling the same way I feel when the clocks change and just feeling a bit confused about what time it is, but another is that time isn't linear anymore. I'd be locked up if I mentioned all my symptoms to a gp I think ;)

four/five years in I have felt normal for 3 weeks out of the last month. Can clearly remember telling a friend I felt normal for 3 days a month, so improvement does come.

Worth getting blood tests for iron, vitamin d, thyroid though, our poor bodies have so much to cope with at the same time.

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »

Nearly50

I felt the same when I was 15/16 in puberty when I was having episodes of out of body experiences, I thought I was having near-death experiences and when my mum took me to gp he said it's harmless and because of my age.  Thankfully they went but it's only the last couple of years that I've read it's dissociation due to anxiety and hormones! I thought I was losing the plot !

nearly50

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 06:12:41 PM »

I suppose it is an out of body feeling, I hadn't thought of it that way. Must say,  I have more sympathy for the young teenagers I work with now as I know many of them are going through hormonal nightmares too.