Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vit D levels - anyone clued up?  (Read 1862 times)

jorainbow

Vit D levels - anyone clued up?
« on: April 18, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »

Hi ladies - just had levels back from receptionist at surgery.  Should be between 60 and 150 (what units I dont know!) and mine are 60 but no further action needed.  Could I benefit from some supplemental?

Thanks

Elizabethrose

Re: Vit D levels - anyone clued up?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »

I take a supplement Jo and I am convinced it has helped my aching joints. My fingers are so much more comfortable. I've not taken it with me when travelling twice now and the result is my fingers start aching again. As long as you are sensible about the amount you are taking following national guidelines, I can't see it will do you any harm. I can't tolerate the sun on unprotected skin so I'm not getting my allowance that way!

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »

Hi, 60 is pretty good, especially for this time of year - I assume it is measured in nmol/L. Mine is 68 after taking vitamin D for a year and a half (was 25) and was told to keep taking supplements. I think it wouldn't do any harm for you to do the same.

jorainbow

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 05:09:47 PM »

Thank you both - I stay out of the sun or lather on factor 30 due to 2 malignant melanoma's and a family history of the same (mum) so I think I'll take something. If it helps with aching joints that's a bonus as my hips I am sure belong to someone twice my age!!!!

Butterfly22

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 05:51:06 PM »

I did see a programme on vitamins and basically said we only need to take one in this country vitamin D. I would get some cheap enough :) xx

Mbrown001

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 06:45:10 PM »

I was told my levels were slightly low and to take a supplement.

I have IBS and stomach issues so I don't think I asborb well either so I am using a Vit D spray. One spray under my tongue every morning.
I was told to get retested in a year.
I try to get half an hour of unprotected sun bathing in when the weather is fine. I was very surprised I was low as I love the sun and am outdoors whenever I can. I'm also quite dark skinned.

Have to say the supplement has done nothing for my aching joints but it's also supposed to be good for your immune system and I've not had as many colds this winter.

Mrs Brown.

nearly50

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 06:53:42 PM »

I was very surprised I was low as I love the sun and am outdoors whenever I can. I'm also quite dark skinned.

The darker your skin, the more difficult it is for your body to produce vitamin d as you have more melanin. So you need more sun exposure than someone with very pale skin to produce the same amount of vitamin d.

You also have to be exposing a quarter of your skin and it has to be around noon - I think it is a miracle any of us get enough vitamin d all things considered.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »

You're dead right there nearly50, dark skin doesn't absorb it so well but pale skin can't be exposed to it. I burnt over the weekend with factor 60 on. Such a pain in the butt!!

Lady Daviot

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 08:56:30 PM »

I was recommended Vit D is spray form D Lux brand from Holland and Barrett. Apparently the further north we are in U.K., the more we lack in Vit D.

jorainbow

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 05:48:06 AM »

Thanks all for your input. Lady D - the scenery up north more than makes up for it!!!! I'll have a shop for some layer 😊

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »

my levels tend to be low (around 42 in the winter).  I take 400iu D3 and a multivitamin with 200iu D2 in it.  If I take higher doses I feel most peculiar.  Last September, after the summer and the supplement, I went up to 60 but in March it was down to 42 again (my endo tests the level when he tests my thyroid levels.)

Sometimes I use a spray but I use the 300iu one for babies as I am just no good with the chemical additives in these things.

I get sun exposure for 10 minutes when I can but I am fair skinned and burn quite easily and get a red face