Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Choking on nothing  (Read 7496 times)

countrybumpkin

Choking on nothing
« on: April 17, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »

I have done this for as long as I can remember occasionally, seem to go through spells of it.
I will go to speak and either breathe in or turn my head and massive choking fit, I even lose my voice for a few minutes to a croak. I then am left with an annoying tickle at base of throat for rest of day.
I can do it 2-3 times in a couple of weeks then go months and months okay.
My husband also does it as well again a few times over a couple of weeks then okay again for 6 months or longer.
Anyone else do it?

dahliagirl

Re: Choking on nothing
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:44:07 PM »

Tree pollen?  Any hayfever symtoms?

Elizabethrose

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 07:16:11 PM »

This has happened to me too over the past couple of years country bumpkin, I can't make it out either. In fact it happens every time I eat food with vinegar on it or highly peppery food. Sometimes I just choke on nothing!

The choking is violent and usually results in those round me assuming I'm in trouble. It usually ends with a sneezing fit before I then wheeze for the next few hours!

Just another weird thing for the list!

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 07:42:39 PM »

It happens to me with my hayfever*, and when I eat anything with hazelnuts in (which is related to the pollen I have an allergy to).  I haven't eaten anything that sets me off for a couple of years, and rarely choke over my food these days  :)

* Tree pollen - there is a lot about at the moment.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »

I'm reactive to silver birch, some other trees and loads of flowers - it was discovered when I had a series of allergy tests at the Brompton. Weirdly it was never a problem till peri hit. I take triamcinolone daily which controls the allergic rhinitis.

It's never made me choke though dahliagirl, usually it triggers headaches (there's a surprise!) or makes my chest tight. The choking in recent times is weird, it seems I'm inhaling traces of either the vinegar or pepper and it happened the other evening with some chilli snack a friend served with drinks. It's happened a number of times over the past couple of years but never before in my life. The oddest thing is that the choking then sets off a sneezing fit, what's that about?!

Elizabethrose

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »

Haha I tried that apple cider vinegar after watching the Trust me I'm a Doctor episode. I very nearly choked to death - that would have been ironic!!

Jeez if was a horse they'd put me down! x

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 09:02:03 PM »

Apparently in women it can be due to lack of collagen/ muscles not being as tight. Can affect swallowing mechanism. I used to do it all the time a few years back- less so now

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 09:16:35 PM »

Hadn't thought about pollen but yes the tree pollen is really high this year. I don't usually suffer with hay fever at all ( I have severe allergy to hair - animal and human- and house dust mite on nhs allergy testing many years ago).

It's so embarrasing in company as it looks like a really bad choking fit , well it is, but with nothing actually stuck.  Maybe we are choking on our own saliva, I often wonder if my lungs are filling up with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dahliagirl

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 09:38:55 PM »

I find my hayfever (silver birch pollen) results in a sore throat, tonsils and little bubbles on my tonsils (very occasionally turn to white spots). Mostly down one side.   It makes me feel ill.  I get sneezing and itchy eyes and stuff, but this effect is much worse.

My throat gets sensitive, so something catches it and I cough a lot, my eyes and nose stream, and I look a wreck  :madeyes:  When I go out in the garden, it is the sneezing.  Then I feel grotty and miserable.

If I eat anything related to the silver birch pollen, I tend to cough a lot - hazel nuts are by far the worst for this, but so are some almonds, apples, carrots, peaches, plums, cherries blah blah blah (cont. page 91) - sometimes it is itchy mouth, sometimes trout lips.

It is definitely worse and become obvious since I turned 50, but looking back, I have had problems like this since I was 19.

Menomale

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »

Post-nasal drip can cause this sort of choking.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:43:01 PM by Menomale »

Elizabethrose

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 09:43:36 PM »

Have you tried triamcinolone dahliagirl? It stripped all the headaches away aside from the migraine. I wonder whether it would prevent some of your reactions. Dust was a real trigger too! x

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:44:25 PM »

It feels like there is a dry patch and no matter how much I cough, it won't go.

With hazel nuts, it feels like there is a bit of the nut skin stuck to my tonsils.

What do you have for breakfast, Sparkle?

dahliagirl

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 09:46:46 PM »

ER- no I haven't tried that - I usually use cetrazine every day this time of year.  It is definitely helping.  If my throat and sinuses are feeling grotty, I take ibuprofen at bedtime.

I have a friend who is a fellow sufferer and pharmacist - she takes everything going ;) but I will ask her about the triamcinolone.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 09:49:03 PM »

My daughter reacts like this to cashews. Sadly they are a cheap nut used instead of more expensive nuts in commercial cooking i.e. currys, pesto and cakes.

Her airways start to close!

It's available on prescription in a nasal spray that lasts a month. You can buy it over the counter but it's only a weeks worth. I've had to take it for years maybe one day the wretched allergies will disappear as suddenly as they arrived.

I find Zirtex the one that works for me, especially with cats x

dahliagirl

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 09:59:21 PM »

I have been careful about what I eat, and taking my cetrazine and I think it is quite a while since I had a sudden choking fit whilst I was eating - I used to think I was eating my food too fast or something :-[ :-[ . Wine makes is worse, of course  ::)  Being careful has made my throat less over-sensitive.

I am suspicious of cashews (and quite a few other nuts).  M&S swiss chocolate is full of ground hazelnuts - I discovered this the hard way.  They are supposed to be ok when cooked, but I have found it is not always the case.

ER - apples have quite a strong connection with silver birch pollen - they have some of the same protein in them.  Coxs and interesting varieties are usually more of a problem.  I have no idea if apple cider vinegar is heat treated, but it could be a double effect, with the apple and the acid!!
Pages: [1] 2