Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Verdict is in - DO NOT use a mobile whilst driving  (Read 10375 times)

Ju Ju

Re: The Verdict is in - DO NOT use a mobile whilst driving
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 10:04:56 PM »

The A34, the dual carriageway where this accident happened, is the major road between the M3 and the M40 on the way north from Southampton, a major port. It is packed with lorries at busy times. I hate it when it is busy because of the driving of lorry drivers. They pull out to overtake other lorries without any interest in cars in the outside lane and usually uphill, causing long tailbacks. You have to watch these lorries, so you don't plough into them as they pull out. I choose to go on the quiet country roads in preference. It is notorious for accidents and really needs to be a motorway, but that's another battle. (Remember the environmental battles when they were building the bypass round Newbury) But this 'accident' was particularly horrific.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 12:43:11 PM »

Also, increasing road capacity will never keep up with the amount of traffic.  We all need to be more patient.

On the A43 it's chaos.  We went through recently and were 40 mins. doing half a mile  >:(.  Also those that don't stick to the 40 mph speed limit make me ANGRY!

MabelBabel

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »

There was a mother on This Morning yesterday I think, who's son was killed on the road by a driver using a mobile hands-free. She has started a petition for the Government to ban the making and receiving of calls whilst driving. It's #SignForSeth

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 04:14:35 PM »

Although a good idea because over a certain amount of signatures means that the Government of the day has to respond and discuss in The House, it won't stop those who think 'it won't happen to me'. We have Laws enough already! 

Thinking about the Taxi driver flossing her teeth, well a 'phone call to the Company and another to the local Police station might be a starting point! Also tell as many people which Company is concerned, so that the boycott them!

cubagirl

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »

I have hands free, but even then I won't use my phone whilst driving. I prefer to stop, then make phone call. It's handy when hubby is driving & I'm passenger, I can answer on the move.  I'd rather pull over & phone someone back, if I'm driving.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 08:30:39 PM »

Because one can't concentrate in the same way …….. it only takes a second for Life's to be changed  :'(

Flossing teeth  :bang: :bang: :bang:  I had a friend many years ago who would turn from the driving seat to talk to her child in the back, after 3 journeys I stopped travelling with them  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 01:38:05 PM »

The situation has worsened since we had smart phones I think. The lorry driver wasn't texting or making a call he was scrolling through his music for a track he wanted to listen to which seems even more dangerous.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 04:56:32 PM »

He had his eye off the road ………  :-\ apparently the Law states that one must keep control of the vehicle at all times, only removing the hand from the steering wheel in order to show other road users which direction he intends to take (i.e. up and down for slowing down and turning left, straight out to turn right).  OK unless it's raining or snowing  :o

Then came traffictors  ::)

The problem is, we go out not expecting accidents to happen to us!  I don't think that anyone intends causing road chaos when they turn on the ignition  :'(

Ju Ju

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 05:12:46 PM »

There was a mother on This Morning yesterday I think, who's son was killed on the road by a driver using a mobile hands-free. She has started a petition for the Government to ban the making and receiving of calls whilst driving. It's #SignForSeth

This is a difficult one, as there would have to be many exceptions, e.g. Police, firefighters, paramedics.
The trouble is there is potential for many distractions for drivers, like children arguing, dogs barking, normal conversation, which can be as dangerous as hands free mobiles. How do you legislate for all that? I had a friend who was killed in an accident where it is believed that the driver was distracted by their dog.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 06:49:07 PM »

However: apparently Road Traffic Police stopped a foreign driver who was using his mobile whilst driving a car, but because he 'only' had Euros they couldn't apply the fine until his passenger had handed over a 'card' .....  :bang: :bang: :bang:  well that card could have been stolen or there may not have been money in that particular account - why wasn't the driver taken into custody for breaking the Law until payment was cleared?  I wonder if the crd will be genuine .........

Ju Ju

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »

Probably because there are not enough police anymore and they have closed most smaller police stations. The only cells in use are in larger police stations, which can be miles away. This is certainly how it is in the county where I live and still know some police officers still serving. And most of them can't wait until they retire.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 10:04:18 PM »

Probably so.  A lot of things have been outsourced from Police jurisdiction too >sigh<.  Maybe as well as 'drive on the left' warnings when entering the UK there should be signs advising that using a mobile is now illegal?

dulciana

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »

Several years ago, I was being driven back from a workplace event in the car of one of my colleagues and driving behind her was another of our colleagues.  They were going along the motorway, in the outside lane, somewhere between Fife and Perthshire.  One of them took out her mobile and texted the other one, who then texted this driver back, etc.  They thought it was great fun.  It wasn't.  It was so dangerous.  I was just glad to get out at the other end.   
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:03:59 PM by dulciana »

dulciana

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 04:05:26 PM »

No, Hasty, and as I no longer work there, they're no longer my colleagues either.   These were both mature women who you'd have thought would have known better.   

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »

Sadly people have the attitude that 'it' won't happen to them  :-\ .  I saw a foreign lorry driver on the 'phone yesterday trying to negotiate a round-about  :-\ Bas...d
Pages: 1 [2]