Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Getting older - how much pain is 'normal'  (Read 3302 times)

Bettyboo

Getting older - how much pain is 'normal'
« on: April 17, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »

Hi Folks

As I've posted before, I have health anxiety and my HA brain always seem to turn every little ache and pain into a terminal illness. Since I fell over and bashed my left side two weeks ago the HA has been escalating out of control. Not joking, the HA brain has had three different cancers in the last week  ;D I wish I could really laugh about it.

I seem to have pains all over. They move about. A pinching in the left lower abdomen, a pain in back of left hip, the tip of the shoulder, the centre of stomach, the ribs, wind, touches of IBS, 'bladder ache', pains 'down below'  ... I could go on, but you get the picture. When I wake up there are pains in torso, feet, hands, but after moving about for a bit they go off. They're not so bad I need painkiller as they are not constant. I've had this on and off for about four years, since this meno thing started really. I am sick and tired of it and the accompanying HA.

I tried to discuss with OH who is not the sympathetic person re health issues. He gets angry if I have an attack of depression or anxiety. He says that pains are normal as we get older and he has lots of pains but he just doesn't moan about them and keeps them to himself. He thinks I expect too much from my body, for it to be pain or niggle free. What does anyone else think/ experience?

thanks

Annie0710

Re: Getting older - how much pain is 'normal'
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:12:50 AM »

I've had pain in places I'd never thought of since meno started 5 years ago and like yours my OH just says it's normal aging

I think the difference is women are struck suddenly whereas with men it's gradual so we're more in shock.  Well that's my theory ! X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:40:26 AM »

The pains in hands and feet when you first wake up are often due to low oestrogen Bettyboo - are you on HRT? 

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:27:55 AM »

I think random twinges and aches and pains are normal as we age, after all our bodies do tire and start to stiffen and wear out.  We might hold ourselves differently, have different posture or tension from stress.  All this can, and will, cause random discomforts.

When you need to worry is if there are associated symptoms or if the pain is in the same place all the time and doesn't go or gets steadily worse.  then it needs attention.

When I have sporadic muscle, joint or nerve twinges I take a paracetamol (just one to take the edge off) or an ibuprofen and if it eases then it isn't much to worry about  :)

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »

Hi BettyBoo- I've had exactly the symptoms you've described. Everything is terminal. A bruised toe is a melanoma etc. If you didn't laugh you'd cry...
Thing is, every little twinge, ****le, pain is noticeable because we are on high alert and looking out for it. The brain can muster up all sorts of things if we're hyper vigilant. So, to an extent as we are so anxious, it will give us stuff to feel anxious about- a self fulfilling prophecy almost.
We do get aches and pains as we age and for females, the hormones drive the whole system so if they are out of kilter, we are bound to feel that we are unravelling a bit  ( or a lot )

If a pain is constant or gets worse it needs investigated, but for the other stuff, maybe it would help if you acknowledge it. oh, I've got a little niggle under my rib cage. it's wind, it'll pass and then get on with other things. I've been trying this recently and it's been better. I'm not obsessing so much and lo and behold, whatever I've been worrying about passes. X

Evelyn63

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »

Betty boo would it help to write a diary or journal of your aches and pains , daily, then look back on it after a week or two , when hopefully it hasn't manifested into anything worse ?  It might help more, to see something in black and white so to speak, and remind you that you are doing ok really and its the HA rather than actual illness?  Just a thought.   HA is a dreadful illness in itself, manifesting in depression and worry which in turn kicks of other problems both physical as well as mental.  When I am worried or ruminating over something I inevitably end up  with a head cold or a flare of my IBS.   My problem is that I tend to bury my head and try to convince myself its anxiety rather than actual symptoms, but that can back fire,as I discovered when I had a torn retina.  I was putting the floaters down to something everyone had !  Now I am trying to be more sensible and listen to my body more rather than tuning it out.  Of course I could hear too much  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »

You fell.  Bumped yourself inside and out.  Various muscles get bruised, inside and out and take time to heal.  Because we move around muscles are pulled all the while, having bruised parts of you it will take a few weeks to feel better.  Do you take a pain relief? which will ease stiffness and stop pains.

I fell on my face 8 years ago and spent the next few days feeling various parts of me stiffening up.  My shoulders, tops of my arms, thighs ...... I knew it was due to the fall  ::); 5 years ago I fell again ........

It's easy in the early hours to envisage any type of terminal illness!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop off muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Body may become dry, inside and out  >:(

Bettyboo

Hi guys

Just wanted to say thank you all so much for your supportive answers. This HA thing is a real devil to manage, I do meditation, yoga and take ADs but it just doesn't stop.

I talked to a very dear friend the other day about it, first time I had really told anyone other than the Dr. I felt so much better afterwards, and after a cry   :( She suggested I try hypnosis so I am going to look into it and maybe discuss with Dr. Anyone else tried it?

BB

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 05:45:28 PM »

Once you've recovered from your fall - then the best way to prevent aches and pains is to have a good diet, keep to a healthy BMI, have plenty of exercise and fresh air, try to reduce stress, get enough sleep - and if possible go on HRT if you are at that point in your menopause and are not medically contra-indicated.  Also as Michelemabelle says make sure that unusual and persistent pains are checked out, and if necessary have blood tests to rule out certain conditions which could be causing the pain. You will still get some aches and pains as you age, but no reason why you should not live a full and active life well into your 70's and beyond - if you look after yourself.

I do know what you mean about twinges though - I have to rein in my hypochondria and just tell myself all is OK - but do visit the doc with things that are really worrying!

Hurdity x

marge

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »

I'm exactly the same Bettyboo - I feel your pain (whether it's real or not!!)  Every single tiny twitch, itch, etc I can turn into a major, life-threatening illness.  I make sure I do at least an hour of exercise each day - mainly walking, swimming or cycling - and I feel, as long as I can do that, there can't be too much wrong.  Doesn't stop my paranoia though.