Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New bowel screening at age 55  (Read 8920 times)

Cassie

Re: New bowel screening at age 55
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »

If you listen to the Lynn Faulds video on flexi sig, the consultant surgeon says that if your flexi sig is clear then there is a 1 in 500 chance of a cancerous polyp developing in a part of the colon not covered by the sigmoidoscope, that in itself, was enough to persuade me. Sarai perhaps watch the video and you will see how stress free it is, once you are ready to go. It takes 5 minutes CLKD, you may be thinking of a colonscopy which takes a lot longer.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 12:00:36 PM »

:-X

ancient runner

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »

It is a doddle as Cassie says. I think there hasn't been much publicity about it though which might be why it was a shock for Sarai - it completely took me by surprise too.

Mbrown001

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »

I wouldn't do a colonoscopy without sedation. I found the sigmoidoscopy quite uncomfortable due to the amount of air being pumped in. I managed but it was a bit of a struggle. The good thing was its over very quickly.
I dutifully do my bowel screening test whenever it comes in.

My hubby however, he just won't. Anyone else have this issue with their hubbies or partners. Head in sand time I think.
A few years ago he got an invite for an aortic scan. I had to threaten all sorts to get him to go. He did and all was fine.
Men and tests don't go well together I find.

Mrs Brown.

Cassie

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 08:39:48 PM »

What do they look for in the aortic scan, is it also for the 60 plus age group or only for targeted groups?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »

Aortic aneurysm...the scan on the NHS is only for men as it is less common in women although it still can happen to us :-\

coldethyl

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

They measure the aorta looking for any signs of bulging etc indicative of weakness and possible aneurysms. It is as Tinkerbell says, mostly a male thing though women can and do get it. There is also a genetic component so worth getting screened if family link. My dad's was discovered during scanning for his bypass and he has been scanned a few times since to keep an eye on size.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »

Both of mother's brothers had it, fortunately surgery was done in time and they survived.

Annika

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 10:55:31 PM »

Don't be scared of having a colonoscopy it really is a piece of cake and we ladies go through so much worse. They give them every 5 to 10 years here in the US and knock you out for half hour while the perform the test so you really don't feel anything or are aware of whats going on. Honestly its painless and I'm always squimish about most tests...the worst part of it is the prep the day before drinking that God awful laxative..lol 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 11:54:48 AM »

Annika - that sounds awful  >:( - can't think why someone hasn't developed something much more palatable!  Do you get it done due to Health Insurance?

wombat62

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 11:38:40 PM »

The one I had here in Oz was fine! Pixolate or something like that, had a lemon flavour. The worst bit was not being able to eat for a day, just jelly and not red jelly which is my favourite! I was so over jelly by the end of that day!

One bit of advice if having a colonoscopy is to have a low fibre diet for a couple of days before you start the fasting and eat smaller meals, less food in your system. So have mash instead of a baked potato, white bread instead of wholemeal etc. It means that the nasty bit isn't quite as nasty! That was the bit I was dreading but I think by following the regime it wasn't so bad as I was expecting!

Re the aorta scan, they did mine as well when hunting for gallstones. Nice to know that was okay even if the gallbladder wasn't!
Pages: 1 [2]