Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Nightmare skin - dry with acne at same time!  (Read 2310 times)

Witch hazel

Nightmare skin - dry with acne at same time!
« on: April 16, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on a good skincare routine for my meno skin please?

I never really had spots as a teenager, but seem to be plagued with them now, but some of my face is also dry and flaky at the same time.  I have never had much of a skincare regime, using make-up wipes to remove the small amount I do wear for work, and occasional mild facial scrub if I need a freshen up.  I have tried a few cheap moisturisers to sparingly cover the drier patches, but within days I break out in spots in the same areas.  Its a vicious circle at the moment, I either look flaky or spotty!  I use mineral make-up powder which seems to cover well and doesn't aggravate anything, but as I am receptionist and front of house at work, want to try to make myself presentable, and sometimes I feel like a real freak - oozing spots one day and flakes falling like snow the next.

Bearing in mind I like natural, non-animal tested products where possible, can anyone recommend a nice light moisturiser and a good cleanser which will help settle the spotty/greasy breakouts without drying the rest of my face to a crisp ... thanks ladies  :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:18:21 AM by LesleyA »

Annie0710

Re: Nightmare skin - dry with acne at same time!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »

I feel your pain.  I always had normal skin but now I have the odd spot with areas of dryness/flakiness plus blotchy areas just to add to the mix

I don't know if it's not tested on animals (and I feel really bad at my ignorance) but I use L'Oréal base gel then L'Oréal bb cream along with a concealer for difficult parts.  I think it's all hormonal so wonder if any regime apart from perfect Hormone balance would stop it all x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »

Hi Lesley - could you have developed Rosacea? It was quite a while before I realised that this was what I have.

Taz x

Mbrown001

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »

I have really dry sensitive skin. Not just on my face but all over.

I use Superdrugs Hot Cloth Cleanser to take my make up off with. I use Aveeno oatmeal facial moisturiser and also Aveeno body wash and body lotion. It's about the only things that don't sting and bring me out in a rash or dry things up badly.
It's not that expensive and some of the chemists have special offers on quite often.
The oatmeal is very soothing I find.

Mrs Brown.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »

Hi Lesley - could you have developed Rosacea? It was quite a while before I realised that this was what I have.

Taz x
Taz, I think this is what I may have developed in recent months x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 04:24:14 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry and itchy ..... inside and out!

Witch hazel

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »

Hi ladies,

Thanks for replies and advice.  I have considered whether its Rosacea before, as when its at its worst I do get flushing across my cheeks which looks like I have been out in the sun.  I am quick to blush anyway, but this is slightly different and my skin in some areas is bumpy, even without any visible spots showing. I will look into this more, although reading a little online already, treatments sound quite involved - antibitotics, anti inflammatories etc, and not sure whether I need to go down that road just yet.  Might try something over the counter first, but its hard to get the balance between the dry and spotty areas.  I put lipbalm on last week as they were a bit sore, and developed a row of annoying little white spots under my lip where it had strayed off the dry patch ...  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 08:49:54 PM »

If it is Rosacea there is not much in the way of over the counter treatments - well none that I have found to work. I am unable to have the usual antibiotic due to allergy but have been trying some cream the doc gave me. It makes things worse before you see any improvement unfortunately!! Takes up to eight weeks to work.

Stress, sun and alcohol are triggers for most people. It tends to flare up at times and then settle down a little. You description does sound like the early stages. I know that others on here have the condition so they  may have some suggestions. I hope it improves soon.

Taz x

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 06:32:31 AM »

Mine is mild if it is that.  At first when it's most noticeable first thing in the morning(and that is probably because I'm makeup-less) I thought of the malar rash as it looks like heat rash across my nose and cheeks as if I've had sunglasses on

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »

Some medications can cause reactions if one goes into the sunshine.  I was told during radiation treatment to keep out of the sun and wear a wide brimmed hat, some ADs can cause blushing as heat/sun affects reactions.

lollipop

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 06:10:13 AM »

Oh girls I feel your pain,never had any teenage troubles was always complimented on my skin no I look sore and raw lol n yes alcholol n sun flares it up and I love both  ;D but if our troubles stopped us doing the things we enjoy then it's beating us,my rosacea is across nose cheeks and is worse in mornings until I do my magic with lotions n options,my sister as it really bad and as got to see a dermatologist at hospital,I am sure we are still loved however we look  :)xx

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 09:40:51 AM »

What a lovely post lollipop! What lotions and potions do you use? My GP was going to refer me to a dermatologist but due to funding cuts i'm not bad enough yet!

Taz x  :)

Elizabethrose

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »

Ladies, this is a recent conversation about acne/rosacea which may be pertinent to the discussion. x

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32090.msg510953.html#msg510953

lollipop

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »

Hi taz I use loreal face wash in mornings,a sensitive bb cream n then finish off with those magic minerals (I swear by them )then my normal make up.my sister had it bad as a teenager to be fair and was under the hospital then,she just hoped it would give her a break at this stage  :'(x