Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Is it possible to produce Own Oestrogen post menopause?  (Read 2589 times)

Jobo

Is it possible to produce Own Oestrogen post menopause?
« on: April 14, 2017, 10:32:39 PM »

I posted on here last week as I was concerned My Oestrogen was low.  I can't get an GP appointment for 2 weeks although everytime I visit I don't feel supported due to the doctors lack of knowledge.  I have been searching and reading on this site which has been my life line for the last 4 years! as I am finding it hard to function daily and don't think I can put up with horrible symptoms for much longer.  Something in the back of my mind is telling me that my symptoms although associated with low oesrogen could in fact be too high.  I am 47 and post meno last period was approx 5 years ago.

I suddenly remembered today (brain fog!) last year when I had a blood test to check Oestrogen levels I wasn't taking any HRT and hadn't done for approx 2 months and my levels were within normal range despite my FSH being high.  Is this possible in post memo women?  Could I still be producing my own oestrogen therefore adding to the 75 mcg patch which I increased a few weeks ago I used to cut a bit off before.

I have a mirena for progesterone (long story) been trying to get this right for over 5 years! I have had this over a year and all seems fine here (it was my last resort) and although my symptoms are similar to progesterone intollerance I can't see it being this after a year and what seems to be no problems.

Hope this all makes sense and am hoping someone will be able to give me some guidance and information.

wombat62

Re: Is it possible to produce Own Oestrogen post menopause?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 12:00:56 AM »

Hi

I would be interested in this as well, I'm probably 5 years post as well and I'm pretty sure my levels are still up and down like a yo-yo! 6 months back I was having really bad night sweats and flushing returning during the day, then it's settled a bit but night heat returning. Just recently I had to change hrt regime so decided to try going up from 50 to 75 patch. I'm on 4th week now and for 2 days a week have had tender nips but this last week it's been most days which is uncomfortable! I'm just wondering if it's now too much? So I thought this week when I change I'll chop a bit off the patch and see if that helps!

However, going through the night with no hot flush has been lovely! Arghhhh....can't win!

Jobo

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:27:31 AM »

Hi wombat62
I don't have the sore nips or boobies but have had this in the past a few years ago with too much oestrogen.  Please let me know how you feel when you cut the patch, do you have any other smptoms?

wombat62

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »

Hi

I'll keep you posted! I'm not anxious or jittery which others have reported when on the high side, feel quite calm at the moment.

It's obviously a very delicate balance and I get a bit confused at times if you are high or low as some of the symptoms seem to be the same.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge might be along soon to help!

Jobo

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »

I hope someone with a bit more knowledge does come along so frustrated with it all.  But like you say some of the symptoms of high and low do seem to be the same.  I am so anxious ATM jittery headache and lots more.  At a loss as to what too do  :'(

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 09:10:34 AM »

Jobo I am sure you will get more replies to your question after the Easter holiday.  I think a lot of people are away at the moment.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 09:37:54 AM »

Hello Jobo.

I agree with babyjane in that you'll probably get more of a response after the Easter break.

I am not one of the expert ladies but a friend of mine was told by her consultant that the ovaries can continue to produce some oestrogen into our seventies, so I think the answer to your question is yes, most definitely. Hope that helps you.

Wishing you well.

K.

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:53:12 AM »

Think the adrenal glands play a part too producing some ? X

Jobo

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 01:47:44 PM »

Thank you so much ladies, this information does help alot.  I know people are busy over the Easter and possibly away but this does help.   There are some real experts on here and I am sure they will be along soon to share what they know.

Feeling a little calmer today took patch off in a rage! and although it has only been a couple of days I am sure Oestogen will still be in my blood so maybe its just n my mind  :-\

wombat62

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 10:59:19 PM »

Also a bit of fat around the middle produces oestrogen, natures way of topping up however annoying that is!

dangermouse

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 11:29:29 PM »

Could there be a chance you aren't post menopause? Just wondering if the Mirena stopped your periods which would explain your blood test results.

I have read that we lose about 40% of oestrogen post meno and the rest is made in the fat cells and adrenal glands. I very much doubt this would be a high enough level to give high oestrogen symptoms so you may still be peri menopausal and your Mirena may be running out allowing the higher oestrogen to surge. Just a guess though!

A lot of low oestrogen and low progesterone symptoms can be similar including anxiety, flushes and migraines. I think you only get the dryness with low oestrogen though which may help to differentiate.

Jobo

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »

Hi dangermouse thank you for your reply I am definitely Post meno last period 5 years ago, had mirena because I thought I was progesterone intolerant but I'm even beginning to question that now.  Had this exactly a year ago with 75 mcg patch first I cut a bit off then increased it gradually, I have read this is a high dose so am thinking it's a bit much doesn't explain anxiety and dryness though my eyes are the worst twitching all the time!