Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello. New to Forum.  (Read 1163 times)

misme7

Hello. New to Forum.
« on: April 11, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »

Hello everyone
I have just joined the forum.
I am 51 and have gone through a hellish menopause which was to be expected, as I suffered with severe PMDD, and Post Natal Depression. I was told by an endocrinologist that I am extremely sensitive to hormone changes.
I have had anxiety and depression since I turned 13 (when I first had a period) and I am now 51
I take anti depressants, and since my last period of 17 months ago, my Doctor has given me Elleste Duet Conti, which is combined with my usual anti depressant - Venlafaxine 225mgs.
I have been taking the HRT for 2 weeks and feel absolutely dreadful. I am hoping that what I am going through is the early side effects!
Wishing everyone well.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello. New to Forum.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 06:30:09 PM »

I answered your query on the other thread  ::)

Hurdity

Re: Hello. New to Forum.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 07:04:55 PM »

Hi misme7

:welcomemm:

I've been away for some time so just starting to catch up with new members!

Sounds like all your depression has had a hormonal cause - as you have been told by the endocrinologist - and that being the case - anti-depressants are probably not the best treatment, and you should be treated to correct what must be a hormone imbalance.

What oestrogen dose is the Elleste you are taking? The reason you may be feeling dreadful could be due to the progestogen in the tablet and you are taking it all the time, which could be a bad thing if you are progesterone intolerant. However if you are on the higher dose (2 mg) your body may well be acclimatising to the sudden increase in oestrogen - hence the side effects. Normally the advice is to try an HRT type for 3 months before deciding it is not for you so perhaps you should give it a while longer? However I would suggest Femoston would be a better bet, and if you can bear to have a bleed again, try Femoston 1/10 or 2/10 to see how well your tolerate the progestogen (in the second part of the cycle). There are also patches available and gel oestrogen.

Hope you are feeling a bit better now, another two weeks down the line :)

Hurdity x