Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New Breakthrough Research on ME/CFS  (Read 2732 times)

Jaki T

New Breakthrough Research on ME/CFS
« on: April 05, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »

I know not directly menopause related but many people who suffer this get a double whammy at this time of life:

http://www.sciencealert.com/one-of-the-biggest-myths-about-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-just-got-destroyed

Ju Ju

Re: New Breakthrough Research on ME/CFS
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »

Thank you!

Jaki T

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 09:35:34 PM »

You're welcome Ju Ju.

I know a few people on here are sufferers as I am x

anais

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 10:16:18 PM »

I've had ME since 1989, I was very severe and bedbound for years, made some progress but still remained at the moderate/severe scale until 2012 when I relapsed and since then I've been severe/housebound with some  improvement but still need a lot of practical support and door to door transport to go anywhere.

I been ill long enough to see these "breakthroughs" come and go, yet never has there been any effective treatment to come out of it. I took part in the SPECT scan research at Middlesex Hospital that looked at blood flow in the brain. That was supposed to be another great breakthrough which "proved" ME really existed, but guess what? Nothing of any significance came out of that research except maybe one tiny piece of the puzzle that might explain something or might not. That was in 1993, so 20-odd years ago.

Then there was the XMRV mouse virus a few times ago, whatever happened to that?? People were claiming to be "XMRV positive" but that one was debunked and fell into obscurity.

If anyone wants to be free of ME/CFS  then look no further. Because I absolutely hate it. I've done just about everything from attending the Homeopathic Hospital as it once was, to the CFS clinic at Kings College. So forgive my cynicism. Don't get me wrong, research is important and valuable. I've even donated my DNA for research purposes. But what is actually going to make a difference to the lives of those who have this condition? So far there's been nothing.

Butterfly22

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »

Wow thanks, I have ME happened 18 years ago with the menopause after the birth of my daughter I was 25. Xx

SandJ

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:34:41 PM »

Thanks Jaki. I've been ill for 20+ yrs ... most likely M.E /CFS. Would be great if a test was actually available... for me even if there was no treatment I'd appreciate some kind of evidence for *why* I'm not well.

anais

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 11:07:02 PM »

SandJ, if you've been unwell for over 20 years I'm surprised you haven't been referred to a fatigue clinic, although I appreciate there may not be one in your immediate catchment area. The emphasis is on lifestyle and symptom management, but even if you don't want to go down that route regarding 'management' they'd certainly be able to confirm the diagnosis. Some people are set against attending such units because of the scare stories of inappropriate exercise regimes and misconceptions about CBT. I had two referr

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 08:06:12 AM »

there was nothing in my area so in 2004 I paid for a consultation with Dr Mitchell at the National ME centre which confirmed my diagnosis.  I had all 8 points of the criteria.

I was then able to attend a NHS CFS clinic nearby where I was seen on by the doctor and the physio.  Nothing was pushed apart from pacing and lifestyle management.  I then saw the chronic illness psychologist. I had about 5 appointments at this clinic.  It was all helpful and useful and I was not pressured into doing anything like GET or CBT at that time.

Nowadays I can manage it myself and my stamina has improved but I still pay for it dearly, physically and mentally, if I push beyond my recognised limits but that is my choice.  The 2 things that caused a relapse were my mother's illness and death and our daughter's wedding.  Otherwise I can manage most activities apart from travelling.