Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Not had period since Christmas, now sudden and very heavy flooding  (Read 1343 times)

Witch hazel

I have just turned 50 and been experiencing irregular periods for about 2 years now.  Always used to be almost regular to the hour, 4 week cycle, 6-7 day bleed, then went to 5-6 weeks, sometimes just scanty 3-4 days, others really heavy and painful.  Suddenly realised last month that I hadn't had anything for ages and worked out last one was during Christmas!

Then suddenly 2 days ago, got awful cramps in middle of the night, then yesterday started a "normal" period.  Last night I didn't notice any pains, had a very good nights sleep in fact, but got up this morning to find I had bled through everything, underwear gone in bin and trying to salvage my PJs in the washing machine!

Should I be concerned or is this usual for my age and time of life.  My mum sadly passed away several years ago now, and I recall her having lots of sweats during her "change" but not the details of the cycle changes.  Thankfully, I have not had much in the way of flushes, just spells of facial acne from time to time and the erratic cycles in recent months.

Any advice appreciated, thank you  :)

MicheleMaBelle

Re: Not had period since Christmas, now sudden and very heavy flooding
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:13:21 PM »

hi Lesley- sounds like fairly typical peri symptoms so I don't think you should be concerned given your lack of other symptoms apart from the heavy/ erratic bleeding.
Start keeping a diary and if you're worried or start to get flushes and/ or mood related symptoms, go and see your doc but fingers crossed that you'll have an easy time.

Any questions, feel free to ask away x