Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New treatment for hot flushes looks promising apparently  (Read 1656 times)

ancient runner

New treatment for hot flushes looks promising apparently
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:02:18 AM »

Looks good but no idea how far away the actual drug would be  - this is the report by Imperial college - it's in today's Telegraph too.
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_3-4-2017-15-6-16

Tempest

Re: New treatment for hot flushes looks promising apparently
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »

Interesting indeed - but I see no mention of possible side effects and I would want to know about those!  :o

Tempest

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:09:26 PM »

Also interesting that the drug company developing this is Astra Zeneca, who is responsible for some well known 'blockbuster' antipsychotics/psychotropics. Hmm.....I wonder if this was discovered as a result of some of their research in this field whilst developing new drugs, and if so what the nature of this molecule is?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »

Thanks for posting this.

I had a quick look - and it would be good if women who are medically contra-indicated for HRT and especially those who have or have had breast cancer have a suitable treatment that is not a blood pressure medication or anti-depressant.  I really feel for these women who are suffering menopausal symptoms.

What I wouldn't like to see is doctors pushing this instead of ADs - instead of what they should be recommending to most women who can take HRT ie HRT! The main point about this is that menopause is not just about temporary symptoms such as flushes and sweats - oestrogen deficiency can have long term health consequences which can become more severe the longer we live or can shorten our lives, or make our menopausal years more difficult.

Menomale - this was posted yesterday and is about the same treatment as your post! :)

Hurdity x