Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Continuous progesterone  (Read 2871 times)

Tinkerbellj

Continuous progesterone
« on: April 02, 2017, 09:55:41 AM »

This might be completely mad but I have an evorel patch for oestrogen the vaginal pogesterone for 7 days. I have terrible joint pain and constant low mood and despite the horrible side effects of the progesterone like bloating and cramps the joint pain isnt as bad and im a biy more relaxed. is there any way other than the pill that I could take really low doses of progesterone to balance the oestrogen? I did ask my consultant but she just laughed at me. Thanks so much. Trying to navigate this whole.process as it appears the medical profession dont want to know as I am ..quote...a difficult case :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Continuous progesterone
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »

Can't help.  It really is Trial and Error.  Hopefully someone who knows will answer.

jasper

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 07:37:10 PM »

Hi Tinkerbellj
Will reply properly tomorrow as away but am in same place! About to try alternate days.....

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:45:59 PM »

Thanks jasper would.appreciate that x

matildamouse

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:52:42 AM »

I am on alternate days of continuous vaginal progesterone with a Estradot patch of 50mcg and low dosage of testosterone which I started in March. My last scan in Dec showed a 3mm lining so it has been effective this far. I am over 2 years post menopausal. I feel OK...not wonderfull...but able to manage etc. I have tried daily oral progesterone but get IBS symptoms and sore and enlarged breasts. I have sort of made peace with the fact that I might never feel really good again....as long as I manage with daily life, this might be the best it will be....

jasper

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »

Hi Tinkerbellj -  fraid I have no wisdom to offer. I took 100mg Utrogestan vaginally last night with the idea of trying it alternate nights. I had had 2 weeks off it after giving up on 100mg daily as it just makes me even more achey.

Today I hurt all over and just feel so depressed about it all. I think my gp would let me stay on Evorel only with scans as I have a regular period but even then thee are times when I feel it makes me worse and I have too much. And times when I feel some benefit from progesterone. Impossible Juggling act and I'm wondering if I have to bitenthe bullet and come off it all as it's been a year and I am still all over the place. I am sure the evorel helps my energy and muscles though, even if not my migraines.

Bane

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 02:06:05 PM »

Hi

I manage it with the alternate day method and it works  fine, feeling much better. Initially ma body resist but it adjust slowly....

matildamouse

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:04:51 AM »

Gosh matildamouse I don't think I'd be happy with settling on never feeling really good again!

I tried the alternate day method and didn't find the side effects were much better at all.

I actually felt best on very low dose norethisterone but had to give that up in the end as it was causing hairloss!

Long cycle has been by far the best option for me. My body copes better if I miminize the episodes of progesterone! I think you have to ask yourself is it really good for you to be taking something on a regular basis which your body is telling you it doesn't like.

Compared to how I felt prior to starting HRT, when I had NO quality of life,  I feel so much better Stellajane today but never as good as I felt before starting with this menopause business. So I am OK with this...as long as I do not roll around in sweat all night with no sleep at all, hot flushes 1-3 times in an hour,  I am fine to carry on like this. I cope at work and sleep every night and that is important to me. I cope better with a constant feeling of being "past my  expiry date"  ;) than with the sweats and flushes as I live in a warm climate area of Australia.

Bane, do you use the progesterone vaginally? Happy to hear it works so well for you!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 06:59:05 PM »

Tinkerbellj - remind us how old you are and what dose patch? Maybe you would benefit from a higher dose of oestrogen? You do not need extra progesterone does not balance the oestrogen - except in terms of protection of the uterus if you are getting excess bleeding on this regime. If you are post-menopausal then continuous progesterone is possible but if you are still peri-menopausal then you are likely to get random bleeding and spotting as your own cycle breaks through from time to time.

The other way of getting continuous progestogen is through a Mirena but this is a synthetic type - so depends how well you tolerate these?

Finally there is the CCP - if you are under 50 then Qlaira could be an option - I think progestogen is taken on 17 days and there are only 2 tablet free days. This would control your cycle.

Hurdity x

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 02:57:27 AM »

Tinkerbellj - remind us how old you are and what dose patch? Maybe you would benefit from a higher dose of oestrogen? You do not need extra progesterone does not balance the oestrogen - except in terms of protection of the uterus if you are getting excess bleeding on this regime. If you are post-menopausal then continuous progesterone is possible but if you are still peri-menopausal then you are likely to get random bleeding and spotting as your own cycle breaks through from time to time.

The other way of getting continuous progestogen is through a Mirena but this is a synthetic type - so depends how well you tolerate these?

Finally there is the CCP - if you are under 50 then Qlaira could be an option - I think progestogen is taken on 17 days and there are only 2 tablet free days. This would control your cycle.

Hurdity x
Sorry for taking so long to reply I have just been feeling so  ill 
I am 48 this has all been going in since my son was an hour old 2.5 yrs ago. I feel like I have had every hrt under the sun. I have also had mirena coil and zoely contraception pill.  I recently changed to evorel 2 x 100 mg patches and very quickly reduced to 59mg. BEfore this I was on four pumps if oestrogen gel. If it was just hot flushes I coukd cope but its the complete change of personality the apathy the joint pain. in despiration I have removed the patch and returned to the gel as my stomach has bloated so much its bigger than when I was 9 months pregnant and the heartburn and nausea is just dreadful. no idea where to turn now. the medical profession r making me feel like a nuisance/nutter.

jasper

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

Hi Tinkerbellj
How are you getting on? Are you still back on the gel? 

I stayed off the Utrogestan for 2 weeks and tried it from day 15. I lasted 2 days - all over muscle pain and joint pain even in my hands.  So I decided to bite the bullet and reduced my patch from 50 to 25mg (the highest ive been is 75 but this def increased joint pain).  Have to say so far I am not feeling as flat on it as I expected.  Not sure where I will go from here but pretty sure I wont be trying any more progesterone - now tried utrogestan, zoely, and a couple of years ago compounded progesterone cream (prescription).  If I can manage on 25mg then maybe it will be easier just to have a scan to keep an eye on things given that I have a period even on 75. It's only been just over a week though so I may get worse soon...

hope things are a little better for you.