Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 1446 times)

pb75

« on: March 31, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »

Hi everyone.
Have just joined today after being told by doctor, after discussions about my symptoms and results of blood test, that I am in the throes of the menopause. I turned 42 two weeks ago and was a little shocked when the doctor told me.

samweller161

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:13:23 PM »

Hi and welcome pb75.

You are fairly younger than average but it can happen at any time really.  Did the doc suggest any HRT or did you want to try natural remedies?  Whichever, there is a lot of support on this site.  Maybe when you've got your head round the fact that it's happening to you, have a more detailed look around and see what symptoms match with yours.

Good luck!

SP x

pb75

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:31:50 PM »

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. It's nice to know there is support out there  :)
Haven't discussed HRT with GP yet. I am going back in 4 weeks for an ultrasound

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 03:43:32 PM »

Belated  :hbday:

Have a look-see at the Daisy web-site too.  Browse round, make notes: ask.  Maybe keep a mood/symptom/food diary too.

dazned

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:48:13 PM »

Hi  :welcomemm:

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:57:23 PM »

Hi PB75-yes you are young but it's not unheard of. Have a read, make notes, ask away here- nothing off limits. Hope your next GP appointment goes well. Keep us posted and look after yourself x :welcomemm:

Bex68

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 06:06:17 AM »

Hi PB,
Welcome, from another recent newbie :)
I'm wondering if you're still in shock a bit, I would be if I'd have been given that news at 42. I stumbled across this site a couple of weeks ago and I'm finding it great for advice, support and general friendliness.
The thing to remember is you're not going through this alone, although it will definitely feel that way sometimes.
Why are you having an ultrasound?
Bex xx
 :foryou:

pb75

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 06:25:15 AM »

Hi Bex68
Thanks for the reply. Still in shock a bit, but the news that I am going through the menopause does explain a lot!
I am having an ultrasound as I have pain and swelling on my left side, just next to my caesarean scar, and prolonged heavy bleeding.
pb

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 02:34:14 PM »

Hi pb75

:welcomemm:

What did your blood tests results show - do you have them to hand (eg FSH, estradiol etc)? Have your periods shown signs of being irregular over the past few months and has cycle length increased or did you just suddenly start bleeding for a long time? At least you are in good hands. It sounds dramatic for the doc to say you are in the throes of menopause but in fact the peri-menopausal transition can last on average for several years from the first biggish variation in cycle length (although is not identical in all women) before the last period.

However at the moment you may only be at the start of peri-menopause (if your periods have been regular and fairly consistent in terms of length and flow etc) but important to monitor because if you are set to go through an early menopause (last period before age 45) then it is advised to take HRT to help protect heart and bones and general health - at least until the natural average age of menopause of 51. It may be too early for this though - if you are not yet getting menopausal symptoms (apart from bleeding).

Some women decide to have a Mirena coil at this point - to control bleeding (once any problems have been ruled out) and then when you start to get flushes etc, you can then add an oestrogen patch or gel at the dose that works for you.

Let us know how you get on with the ultrasound. :)

Hurdity x

Bex68

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 02:40:15 PM »

Good luck with ultrasound. It sounds like it could be Fibroids, only cause one of my menopausal friends has similar symptoms but on the right hand side.
Hopefully it will be something and nothing that can be easily treated.
Bex  :D

Misty22

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »

Hi PB,I too was told when I was 42,took me a while to get my head round it.This website helped me a lot.Remember you are not alone xx

pb75

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »

Thank you everyone. I feel much better knowing there are people I can talk things over with 👍🏻😊