Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: DAY FIVE OF HRT AND REALLY STRUGGLING AND NO ONE TO TALK TO  (Read 2737 times)

brookesy

DAY FIVE OF HRT AND REALLY STRUGGLING AND NO ONE TO TALK TO
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »

This is my first post.  I am a 48 year old mum of two teenagers.  Over the past six weeks I have been to the doctors with my husband as I have been unable to sleep - have hot flushes - and cry most of the time about not having any more children or death (I have never ever wanted any more children)  My FSH came back as 55 and I had missed four periods on the row at the end of last year and odd ones inbetween.  When I first visited my doctor she said I seriously needed to consider HRT.  After two weeks I was at the stage where I could hardly leave the house and had really bad heart palpitations.  After having a horrible weekend more or less not coming out of the bedroom my husband and I went back on MOnday.  My doctor has started me on Evoril Sequi.  I stuck the patch on MOnday morning and by the afternoon I actually felt happy and engaged with people around me.  I felt brilliant on Tuesday and even better on Wednesday.  I actually slept through the night on Wednesday.  When I got up on Thursday I felt really flat and achey all over - just how I feel before my period starts.  Today I couldn't get out of bed and feel slightly anxious.  Im pleased that I had three good days and it proves I need HRT - but why do I feel so rubbish now.  Please tell me it gets better x

abbyH

Re: DAY FIVE OF HRT AND REALLY STRUGGLING AND NO ONE TO TALK TO
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:49:09 PM »

Hi there! sorry you're feeling poo, loads of good support here and I'm sure someone else who'se used this patch will be along soon, but sounds like you needed to change it if you started feeling crap again? (do you change the sequi every three days?)

hope you feel better again soon!

Abby xx

samweller161

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »

Hi there, they do say give it 3 months to see if it works properly - you will be up and down for a bit and then it should stabilise.  You will find a lot of support on here!  ;D

SP x

Liz

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »

Hi, think you are supposed to change Evorel Sequi patches every 3 or 4 days, so I'd think you need to put a new patch on.  Hope that helps.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »

Well done on taking control!   :welcomemm:  Browse round.  Make notes.  Ask, nowt is taboo. 

HRT needs to be trialled for 3-4 months with some variations in dose if necessary.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.  You are not alone now! 

brookesy

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 05:25:36 PM »

I changed my patch Thursday lunch as instructed and thought I might pick up - but not. 

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 05:56:24 PM »

Hi Brookesey :foryou:

I understand totally but the perceived wisdom is that you really need to give it 3 months to see if it suits. So try and persevere a bit longer if you can.
I wasn't on Everol Sequi- they tried me on Everol conti so I was taking the progesterone every day. I felt awful but bear in mind this was my third regime of HRT ( both sequential and continuous) that contained  the same testosterone based synthetic progesterone and this can cause some horrible side effects if you are intolerant or sensitive to it. BUT, you don't know if this is the case with your own body yet so I'm afraid that you'll need to give it a bit longer. It may settle down or you may have to change to a different regime, one with a kinder progesterone but even these have side effects. There is a information on HRT on the website. Might be worth printing out and taking to your docs but hats off for her suggesting HRT in the first place- a lot of GPs would just try and palm you off with anti depressants.

Sadly, what your feeling/ experiencing is pretty normal for a significant number of us so don't be worried if you can help it. HRT isn't a magic bullet but it can make you feel better once you hit on the right combo and this can take time I'm afraid to say.

You've come to the right place. It's great to have a whinge and to get support too x :welcomemm:

vickypk

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 08:05:27 PM »

Hi Brookesey. HRTwill take a few months to feel better. I use the Evorel conti patches, it took me quite a while to get back to normal
I was also unable to leave the house for a while before I started HRT. My GP gave me antidepressants first. I just felt worse with those.
Hope you feel better soon xx

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »

Hi brookesy

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others - you need to give it time. Also as you are still peri-menopausal then your own cycle will kick in from time to time until it weakens - so you may well end up feeling rough at the "wrong" time due to your own hormones fluctuating in the background.

Hope it works for you and you are feeling better :)

Hurdity x