Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 1960 times)

Meszaros

Utrogestan
« on: March 27, 2017, 06:32:29 PM »

Hi I have joined this site to try to find out if I should be taking the utrogestan 100 tablets every day without a break? This is what my doctor said I should do, but after three months I have read that you should have a break to allow for a bleed.i also use the estrogel pump - 2 pumps at bedtime and my symptoms have improved greatly. No more sweats , sleeping like a baby most nights, better mood. So at 55 years of age, should I be doing this?  Before taking utrogestan I was on different hrt tablets but they didn't work very well for me.  Before I started on hrt a year ago I was still having periods albeit infrequently .
Does any one know ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:35:44 PM »

Someone will know on here ......... though not me  ::)

:welcomemm: ..........

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:00:19 PM »

Hi Mezaros- I'm exactly the same as you. now just started on this new regime which is identical. Consultant said I should take the utrogestan every day but I might just take it for 25 days each month and see how I go. Might get a bleed but I'm ok with that!
First night - felt ok and slept well
Second night- awake in a strange trance like state most of the night and felt really low the next day. Thought- here we go again...
third night- didn't sleep well at all but felt quite calm and cheery today despite being tired
Fourth night- tonight. Hope I sleep x
Let us know how you get on

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:41:28 AM »

Never thought on that Stella Jane. The tablets are a nightmare to get down...

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »

If you cannot swallow them you can use them vaginally.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 09:56:48 AM »

Different type meant for v insertion?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 04:33:53 PM »

Hi Meszaros

:welcomemm:

If you are not yet at menopause ( thought sounds like you might be by now) then it would be better to take the 3 day break just to see if there is a bleed. Some women find that 100 mg Utrogestan is insufficient to keep the lining thin and suffer odd random bleeding or spotting - but if you take the three day break as licensed for a few cycles, then at least you will know how it is for you. If you do get a bleed then this indicates you should continue to take a break. As the amount of prog needed is dose dependent (ie more prog is needed the more oestrogen is used) it can be hard to tell because women are so variable in how much oestrogen they absorb.

As Stellajane says many women use it continuously quite happily - but this probably won't work on higher doses of oestrogen and if taken orally.

Michelemabelle - it is the same capsule whether used vaginally or orally.

Weirdly - I am coming to the end of my long cycle utrogestan which is 100 mg x 2 days, 200 mg x 10 days, finally 100 mg x 2 days (I just have those two days left) and I feel absolutely fine. No migraine or foggy head or anything. It;s like my body has got used to it this cycle. I do use loads of vagifem in the lead up to the utro and during just in case this affects systemic uptake! I have never taken it orally.

Hurdity x

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 06:37:15 PM »

Thanks Hurdity- I've posted on a separate thread as today I'm feeling awful. I thought I'd tolerate the utrogestan better but maybe I'm just having a bad day. Can't be polite about this but are you just supposed to shove it up? How does it stay up there?  :-\

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »

Its the same tablet you just insert it @ bedtime it works very well used in this manner.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »

Yep - poke it up with your finger - as high as it will go  :o.

It will stay there at bedtime - but maybe dependent on bedroom activities to some extent (best inserted after these  ::) ).

Hurdity x

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »

Dear lord- bedroom activities are limited to vagifem insertion, oestrogel application, swallowing the horses tablet that is utrogestan and now spraying my horrible fungal toenails. Sans hubby of course. Maybe I could enlist his help?
And of course the gel leaflet states no close contact for an hour or he'll get moobs...
You've got to laugh!  :bed:

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 08:09:32 PM »

:lol: