Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Testosterone  (Read 1770 times)

Autumn16

Testosterone
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »

Hello Ladies
How do you know if you need testerone?

Annie0710

Re: Testosterone
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »

Low self esteem
Fatigue
Hair loss
No sex drive/reduced sexual response
Anxiety
Low mood

These come to mind but probably more symptoms

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 04:32:39 PM »

Hi Autumn16

I agree about those symptoms but the crucial thing is that these symptoms persist and show no improvement after being on at least a medium dose of HRT for a while and that blood tests have been carried out to exclude other causes (eg of hair loss) - such as thyroid function, iron etc.

Tablet HRT and some anti-depressants can reduce libido and sex drive so low libido/lack of response alone are not defining symptoms. Also some women find that continuous progestogens (if on continuous combined hRT) also reduce sex drive.

For example in my case - I had been taking patch HRT for 8 years, and libido/response was generally on the wane but what led me to seek testosterone was the fatigue and specifically also muscle aches and pains after exercise - more than I would expect for my age ( over 60 at the time). The T has most certainly helped response and muscle aches and to some extent fatigue after exercise. I make sure I take a very low dose though. Mine was from private gynae and haven't yet had to go back to GP to get more as managed to get a second box sent by phoning up, and they last ages!

Remind us of your menopausal status, age and what HRT you are currently taking? What symptoms do you have which you think T would help with? It is not advisable to take T on its own without first replacing oestrogen due to potential androgenic effects (hairiness in wrong places, deepened voice etc) - which should not happen if the balance is right and T is kept at levels which are in the physiological range for women. Some docs will prescribe on NHS off licence but many would prefer to prescribe Livial for low sex drive - there are several threads on this at the moment as a group of women have been trying it recently  - but it is primarily designed for post-menopausal women.

Hurdity x

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »

I would add too that testosterone gel isn't a guaranteed fix.  I did use small doses but it didn't really give me the benefits I thought it would.  For me, Tibolone is working better although one prescription of Testim was replaced with Tostran and I definitely noticed an improvement even though I reduced the size dose even more as it's more concentrated/stronger

And like Hurdity says you must have good oestrogen levels for testosterone replacement

Blakeygray

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 08:49:38 PM »

Yes the above is good advice.

What symptoms if any do you have?

Livial also known as Tibolone,  can solve many of the symptoms Annie mentioned.

:)