Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Early symptoms  (Read 1206 times)

Cscott

Early symptoms
« on: March 29, 2017, 12:29:38 PM »

Hi I'm 41 and have been suffering from fatigue for a couple of years. My iron does get low due to heavy periods, but even when I get my iron levels up I still get fatigued. I've just realized the fatigue does seem be cyclic, I've also started getting some other symptoms such as sweating at night but didn't really think too much of it as my periods are regular to the day every month. I just wanted to ask, what people's first symptoms were, did they come and go and about what was going on with your periods as I kind of thought periods getting irregular was one of the first symptoms of changes happening, thanks.

ancient runner

Re: Early symptoms
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:11:19 PM »

I think I was a bit dim about it all actually but probably stonkingly heavy periods followed some years later by painful bladder/vulva. In retrospect raised libido too!!!!

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 01:54:05 PM »

Didn't realise it at the time but fatigue and aching joints were probably my first symptoms. Might be worth getting vitamin d levels checked?

Cscott

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »

Thanks I ache all over, my vit d is low, just started taking supplements

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:22:06 PM »

Hi Cscott

:welcomemm:

Have you had your thyroid checked? This can also cause fatigue. Hopefully you will begin to feel better once you get your vit levels up but it is important to get most of what you need from your diet so perhaps have a look at why you become deficient in the first place - or maybe you have a digestive problem which could be the cause?

If your periods etc are regular then it won't be peri-menopause yet although many women do get worsening of pms symptoms - which can include fatigue - in the months/years leading up to the start of the peri-menopausal transition ie when periods start to go haywire.

Unfortunately also some women start to get menopausal symptoms (like sweats) at a very early stage - so maybe your oestrogen levels are beginning to drop overall and you are feeling fatigued maybe just before your period and the first few days in? Sweats can also be caused by other problems eg thyroid, diabetes etc so would be good to have full blood tests to check and especially due to your age.

I hope you see an improvement soon :)

Hurdity x

Cscott

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:23:28 PM »

Thanks all my other blood tests are fine including thyroid. I didn't mention all my symptoms as they are all quite non specific but I have been getting very sore swollen breasts most of the time which is new to me, so something hormonal is happening. I don't really like taking supplements and I don't often remember, but I'll try the vitamin d and I've got some Floridax for my iron which I noticed has some of the b vitamins in it people recommend for pms, and hope for some energy

Jobo1

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »

I've just began hrt last week after finding out in February I have started early menopause at 37, in hindsight I think I put my symptoms down to having a copper coil fitted 16 months ago after having baby, periods became very heavy at first which I hadn't had since being a teenager, then I would go anything from 30-65 days in between periods, then in December I had 2 weeks of day and night flushes, which prompted me to make an app at docs to get bloods tested, x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:35:22 PM »

My periods became intermittent.  From very heavy until my mid-30s, followed by dreadful PMT  :-\ I was relieved when they waxed and waned and fortunately became lighter.  Even now, 15+ years after my last bleed, I get similar pre-menstrual cramps and think 'oh not after all this time'  ::) but nowt happens.

I remember feeling really tired at times and remember my Mum sitting down in the middle of chores and dropping off to sleep for a couple of hours.  HORMONES  >:(  ::)

Keep hydrated as this can cause tiredness.  Eat lots of fresh fruit and veg. and as silly as it might seem, do exercise regularly.  Remember, housework counts !  ;)