Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: A newbie to the forums  (Read 2350 times)

Bex68

A newbie to the forums
« on: March 25, 2017, 07:21:15 AM »

Hi everyone
My name is Bex and I am 2 years into the perimenopause. I'm now 48 .When I went to my Dr at the beginning of last year I really thought I was dying and my partner and son (22) were digging up the patio in readiness for my body after they'd done away with me.
The first, and very frightening major symptom, I had was at the work Christmas party the Christmas before I saw my Dr and after a couple of glasses of wine I had become unaware of what I was saying or doing until my body finally gave up around midnight and I became unconscious. I had never experienced this but my psychiatrist told me what it was -Pathological Intoxication!! (he also said I was perimenopausal years before this).
Then everything else started happening and I was put on elleste solo 40 micro grams to work along side my coil, simply because I could go down the list of menopause symptoms and tick most of them!!!

But I have dibillatating fatigue (it doesn't help that I also have MS) and more recently deepest darkest depression at times (which I'm used to as suffer from PTSD too)

So I just thought I would have a look around and see what advice and support you're all giving each other, god knows I could do with something just so I know I'm not going mad  ;D ;D

I look forward to chatting with some of you.

Bex
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:30:45 AM by Bex68 »

MicheleMaBelle

Re: A newbie to the forums
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »

Hello Bex68- you seem to be doing all the right things. not sure how long you've been on the oestrogen but you need to give it a few months to work. maybe discuss with your doc the option of using a patch or gel if you feel that you would do better with a different method.

Also, you mention PTSD - have you received counselling or tried CBT for this- might be a useful option to help you cope with your symptoms. Some women also benefit from anti depressants. They don't work for me but we're all different so again something to discuss with your doc although personally I would give the HRT a good go first.
Also, lifestyle changes- diet, exercise, me time etc etc. Much harder to do when you're busy but little changes can make a difference. Some of the ladies here also recommended vitamin D and magnesium as supplements. I'm going to give them a try.

You are not going mad- what you've described is pretty " normal" for a lot of us so hopefully you can be reassured by this. And yes,tolerance to alcohol does seem to decrease for a lot of us. Going on a cruise soon where the drinks package is included so I'll not get my money's worth ( and I'm Scottish so doubly heartbreaking )

let us know how you get on- you'll get loads of support on here :foryou:

Bex68

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »

Hi ladies
Thanks for your messages.
To Sparkle, strangely enough the peri hasn't affected my MS, I already had weaknesses in limbs and an uncontrollable bladder before it all kicked off!!!  ;D
To Michelle everything you have suggested I am already doing. I've been on HRT for over a year now and it's the patches. I've only noticed 'different' changes since I had my coil changed beginning of Feb.
I spent many months in a psychiatric hospital for my mental illnesses a few yrs ago and got amazing help to help with my many problems, and I use the suggestions from therapy everyday  :)
I've been taking vit D for a while now and I'm also taking the Menopace vitamin supplements daily and have felt a little better since doing so (they were cheaper than the Centrium multi vitamins and have more in them so happy days!!
I get out every night after work with my lurcher, Roxy (weather permitting) but my diet is a different matter. If I'm not hungry I won't eat and I hate cooking so tend to go for things I can just put in the oven, pure laziness. It breaks my heart though cause a couple of years ago I lost 5 stone and up to date I've put 3 back on after maintaining my weight for over a year!! Grrrrrr!!
I hope you have an amazing time on your cruise. I'm with you on the alcohol though cause I'm a Yorkshire lass and we lik a drink or 7 lol.

Thanks girls, the more I read on here the more I realise I'm normal and everyone else in my life isn't hahaha!!!  :lol:

Jollidays

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »

Hello Bex
Just saying hello and sending you hugs, x

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »

Thank you Bex68- you're doing all that you can so good luck and let us know how you get on x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 04:25:49 PM »

Hi Bex68

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about the fatigue. Do you think it's down to your MS or perhaps a vitamin deficiency or iron? Have you had your thyroid tested as if you have an underactive thyroid this can lead to weight gain as well as fatigue?

My tolerance to alcohol - same as the others - but I still do enjoy it in small amounts - just have to be very careful about when I have it and how much and drink copious amounts of water after even one glass of wine!

Diet is very important at this stage of life - more important to get the right food and nutrients from your diet than supplements - and the weight loss will help in terms of your future health. Just little steps at a time if you can! :)

I hope the HRT does the trick in terms of feeling better - you might need a slightly higher dose at some point, depending on symptoms.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »

If you have PTSD do speak to your GP.  Have you had counselling, this may be appropriate as you go into The Change as would anti-depressant medication or an anti-anxiety tablet on an 'as necessary' basis.  Although some depression and anxiety may be caused by fluctuating hormones, it is important if you have a past history of mental health issues: especially if these have been eased by medication at that time: to seriously consider ADs.  I would suggest at least 8-12 months to see how you feel.

I remember my Mum having crashing fatigue, she would stop cooking tea, sit down and fall straight to sleep  :-\

Let us know how you get on.

Bex68

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 06:00:39 AM »

Hi CLKD
Yes my fatigue is MS related. Everything has been checked that could be checked by I know my own MS and my body.
I've been taking AD's for many years and the balance I am on now works for me. Sometimes you just need to throw another one in the mix. I've been working very closely with my psychiatrist when it comes  to the menopause (he told me I was peri about 3 years ago) and I see him again on Monday.

The only part of my health that throws a spanner in the works now and again is all the crappy menopause symptoms, which are mainly psychological for me which I suppose goes with the mental health difficulties I've had over the years.

Thanks for your replies and advice, I am pretty clued up when it comes to my health and Drs but suggestions always needed cause I might see something and say oh I havent thought of that!!  :D xx

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 02:26:58 PM »

As you say - you know your own body, so if the symptoms you are now experiencing are due to menopause and not other conditions for which you are receiving treatment - then HRT is the right treatment - not an additional anti-depressant. You may well need a higher dose of oestrogen - 40 mcg is low to medium dose. There is 50 mcg as well as 75 mcg so you could ask to try these. I use Estradot as they are so tiny - quite important when you start increasing dosage! I would increase oestrogen before considering another AD since low oestrogen is linked to low moods and depression.

Hurdity x

Bex68

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »

Thank you Hurdity  :thankyou: