Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My bowels and sugar hangover  (Read 6529 times)

Spangles

My bowels and sugar hangover
« on: March 27, 2017, 07:18:14 AM »

Morning Ladies,

Well where do I begin?

When I wake in the morning my tummy gradually comes to life, I'm gurgling, passing wind, butterflies and eventually an urgency to go, this can last for a while, on and off the loo until I'm empty. It's accompanied by feeling nauseous and anxious too.
I do suffer from anxiety and depression and use Citalopram 40mg for this, almond side evorel 50 and Utrogestan 200. The anxiety and unwanted thoughts usually come in a few days before I start the Utrogestan, can anyone relate to this?

Anyway, I've also been reading about suga hangover. A lot of the symptoms are the same as what I've already mentioned plus others which I identify with too.
The reason I'm thinking this is because I always have half a packet of cookies before I go to sleep or half a box of chocolates. (Really naughty I know) It wasn't until I looked up sugar hangover that I thought this could also be contributing to my awful mornings.
Can anyone identify with this, or does any one know anything about it?

Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Maryjane

Re: My bowels and sugar hangover
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:52:11 AM »

You are at a big risk of diabetes doing what you are , have you had a blood sugar blood test .

I would stop/ the biscuits chocolate.

Megamind

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »

I wouldn't eat those before bed but i still have the gurglings and morning rush. It's IBS. I'm currently having a flare up.

Jules53

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:31:55 AM »

Hi Shell.

It sounds like you have a candida overload from all the sugar you are eating. Candida can be caused by too much sugar and taking antibiotics, which kills off all the good bacteria in your stomach. I am suffering from this at the moment as I have had a course of antibiotics for a chest infection and have been eating some chocolate. You need to cut sugar out of your diet completely, drink plenty of water and take a good probiotic.  Google Candida, there is a lot of information out there.

Hope this helps and you feel better soon. Jules xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:14:21 AM »

Too much sugar alters how our bodies behave! 

IBS can be problematic to gain control over!  Maybe do what my GP suggested for me: that is, use Colpermin peppermint capsules and if you can still buy it, Motillium

The idea is to swallow one of each within the hour prior to eating your main meals.  Every day.  Regularly. 

The peppermint eases any wind in the stomach/upper gut, the latter drives food through the system faster than your bowel is currently doing.  My bowel was so lazy that it stopped working  :-\ and I felt suicidal with constant nausea  :-\.  I found that I needed 3 of the latter tablet each time in order to encourage the bowel into a natural spasm.  I used the above regime for 3 years.  Then I changed to drinking several pots of Actimel daily, which certainly helped keep my bowel in easy action. 

The above has been a constant since 1999.  If my bowel slows down I drink more Actimel [I don't usually require it these days].  I also try to eat regularly, i.e. every 3 hours ........ to encourage the spasm to continue. 

For suffers with wind, bloating and pain, Buscopan can be useful. 

LIVE yoghurt can ease the gut too, from the mouth downwards through the system, encouraging bacteria to form.  If I have thrush I eat lots as well as using copious amounts in the vagina to ease any itchiness!

I snack of dried fruits and nuts as I find these 'fill' me and are longer lasting than chocolate which actually makes my gut feel sluggish these days >sigh<.  Slow release foods, i.e. porridge, a good muesli, bananas, good quality bread can also help symptoms.  Once you have found a solution you HAVE to stick with it or symptoms will return.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »

You don't need half a packet of biscuits or chocolates at anytime, least of all late in the evening before you go to bed.  No wonder your system is screaming!

I have recently been found to be borderline for pre diabetes, with a strong family history, and I have been advised to be mindful now of how much sugar, fat and processed foods I have in my diet.  Pre diabetes is silent and you don't know it is there until it starts doing damage.  I am fortunate in that my endo, who looks after my thyroid, checks my Hba1c once a year so gets a window into how my blood sugar is behaving and can intervene early so I don't end up ketonic like my poor mother was before she was diagnosed.

You know this is a problem or you would not have asked the question.  Make changes now and see the benefits, please  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »

Oh a new avatar BJ?

Maybe Shellb - make a note of everything you eat for the next 3-5 days, that is *everything*  ;) - as well as when you are the most hungry and when you eat and make adjustments. It won't be as difficult as you fear ;-). 

Nausea may be because the body is hungry for sustenance rather than sugars.  I have problems knowing the difference between hunger and sickness  :-\ so try to eat B4 my body requires food.  Takes some planning I can tell you  ;D so I make sure that I have dried fruits and nuts to hand.  Fills me up quickly.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 03:02:34 PM »

Oh a new avatar BJ?

Nope, changed it in February  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »

:lol:  observant, that's me  :madeyes:

Spangles

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »

Hi Ladies,
Thanks so much for your replies, they have certainly given me food for thought! (No pun intended)
I've always been very slim at 5'2 and I've only ever been 8st, I am able to eat what I want and I have a real problem maintaining my weight, always have done, hence I try all the sugary stuff to try and keep a bit on. I have had a lot of digestive problems throughout my life and really struggle with foods like bread, pastry, etc, and therefore l tend not to eat them. So far today so good no chocolate or cookies and I'm going to go to bed on a banana to see if that makes any difference.
Thanks again
Shellb
xXx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »

I was 6st 6 for years.  Then went to nearly 9 and now down to 8st 2lb. I was able to eat anything sugary but find it makes my body sluggish these days  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 08:51:42 PM »

Hi shellb

If you want to put more weight on then please do not eat sugar - as has already been said this can lead to Type 2 diabetes. The best thing to do - as well as maintaining a balanced diet - is to eat foods rich is good fats and protein but definitely not sugar! No need to have bread and pastry.... Lots of nuts, avocados, full cream milk, lamb chicken with skin, full cream yogurt, butter, olive oil. oily fish.... Have you had your thyroid checked or are you on thyroid meds? Could you be hyper? If you eat your evening meal late then you shouldn't need anything before bed.

You should get blood sugar checked out. "Sugar hangover" sounds like a "whizzy-whazzy" term - but high sugar levels as a consequence of eating too much sugar can be a serious health issue.

Good luck and hope you improve! :)

Hurdity x

Spangles

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 06:33:26 AM »

Hi Hurdity,
As far as I know my thyroid is fine, I had it checked a few years ago, my sugar intake was the same then.
I don't know if it is just coincidence but I went to bed on a banana last night and I seem to be a little better this morning.
I will so tinge and monitor it to see if there is a change.
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 08:29:46 AM »

Predictive text  :-\

Morning!

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 04:54:15 PM »

I don't know if it is just coincidence but I went to bed on a banana last night and I seem to be a little better this morning.
xXx

Shellb....

:spin:

Did it get squashed?  ;D

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2 3