Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Coming off HRT  (Read 3572 times)

Marie62

Coming off HRT
« on: April 01, 2017, 12:41:16 PM »

I began the menopause at 50 my final period was on my 50th birthday had regular periods up until then, they just stopped.  I'm 55 this year.  I began getting quite bad flushes about a year after my last period suffered them for as long as I could but then decided to try HRT.
Dr prescribed Elleste Dou conti in August last year, flushes disappeared after about 3 weeks and I felt really good until near Christmas when I began to feel really depressed and anxious I've never felt so low in my life and had never suffered from these feelings before, had to take time off work just couldn't face talking to people. The whole episode lasted about 4 weeks.
I felt it must have been the HRT causing the depression as my life wasn't stressful and I had no real worries. I went to the doc and asked for a lower dose to see if that would help, was put on Kliovance and felt back to my normal self.
But I've now decided I don't want to take HRT any more and have weaned myself of the Kliovance by reducing the dose but for the last week I've been feeling low again, not as bad as the last episode though.
I've not taken any HRT for 4 days now so I'll have to wait and see how it goes.
I'm due to go on holiday on June 10 and am worried that I'll have a depressive episode while away asked the doc about this and was told to see how I felt in about 3 weeks and if still low he could prescribe anti depressants, I really don't want to go down that route because of side effects.
What I'd like to know is has anyone suffered from depression and anxiety while taking HRT and stopped taking it and felt better?
I know mood swings are part of the menopause but I just have a gut feeling that the HRT caused me to feel so low.

Marie62

Re: Coming off HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »

Thanks for your reply. I will keep you all updated as to how I get on,I really think the hrt caused my depression as I said I was fine apart from the flushes. Another thing I noticed on taking it was hair loss mainly at the temples and sides, I lost half my hair years ago by taking omeprazole for a stomach problem but that's a whole other story  ::) so I am prone to hair loss anyway but it definitely got worse on HRT.
Looking on here I realise every women's menopause is different and HRT will be great for some and not others but I don't think it's for me so I'm going to improve my diet and exercise more and just try and get through it the best I can.
2 friends sailed through it with no symptoms, they had each drank a glass of tomato juice a day for years and were convinced that was why they had it easy... maybe something in that but as tomato juice makes me feel sick I won't be trying that  ;D