Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: How soon for an increase in Oestrogel to take effect?  (Read 1246 times)

Liz

How soon for an increase in Oestrogel to take effect?
« on: March 26, 2017, 03:27:16 PM »

Hi ladies.  Been on one pump Oestrogel for some time now (approx 2 years) but just recently feeling very irritable, tired, hot and grouchy, so decided to up to gel to two pumps (which I believe is the usual starting dose anyway).  The reason I've always tried to keep to one pump was that my boobs tend to react to more gel...... they get very swollen, heavy and painful and they're big enough as it is lol, so I can do without all that.  Anyway, decided to bite the bullet yesterday and I put on 2 pumps.  Today I'm feeling a lot better, mood has improved and I feel much more relaxed.  Do you think this must be placebo or could an increase in gel have worked this quickly, do you think??

I'm almost 49, been suffering symptoms for around 4 years but am not sure what my own cycle is up to atm, due to the HRT.  I'm on gel plus Utro for 12 nights per month.  Many thanks for reading!

Hurdity

Re: How soon for an increase in Oestrogel to take effect?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:15:40 PM »

Oestrogen works on at least two levels - there is the immediate systemic level where it attaches to estrogen receptors on cell membranes of relevant tissues, and then there are the genomic effects (ie connected with our genes) - which happen within the cell and produce structural changes mediated by means of complex biochemistry and protein synthesis,  involving the cell nucleus of the target tissue.

If you think of how you feel throughout your menstrual cycle - you can experience mood changes within hours - but equally some of the physiological changes in our bodies occur over weeks and months eg re bone turnover, collagen, bladder etc - so these are the longer term ones.

So the answer is - yes you could experience the difference that quickly.

I hope you are continuing to feel better?

Hurdity x