Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Given Evorel Conti is this right for me? Novice re HRT  (Read 3702 times)

Sarai

Given Evorel Conti is this right for me? Novice re HRT
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »

I'm worried, finally dr agreed evorel conti but I've read you should be 18 months post meno but I'm only 13 months period free.
Does it matter?
Im scared enough of side effects as I don't have any meno symptoms I'm only doing it for osteoporosis treatment.
Is this really the best way to get my oestrogen? I remember getting a progestogen injection after my last child and reacting to it so I'm a bit scared anyway of progesterone.
Could I get low dose oestrogen patch and a low dose progesterone pill?
This is driving me nuts already as I have no symptoms to cure and don't want to add to my problems of fractures with something else.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:04:34 PM by Sarai »

peri

Re: Given evorel Congo but not 18 months post meno
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:45:51 PM »

I always thought you had to be 12 months period free and then you were considered post meno, so if that's the case you should be ok.  Evorel is a good option, try not to worry you may even feel better. Wishing you well x

Sarai

Re: Given Evorel Conti but not 18 months post meno
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 10:48:14 PM »

I've just read it online when I looked it up it said suitable for 18 months post meno

Sarai

Re: Given Evorel Conti is this right for me? Novice re HRT
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 07:01:04 PM »

Sorry I'm bumping my own question I really need to know about Evorel Conti please.
Is it oestrogen and progesterone all the time? In our cycle what used to happen, I have no idea, daft I know.

Sarai

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »

Stellajane, I'm just a perpetual worrier and over thinker. Most likely I have Aspergers so that accounts for an awful lot of my thinking and worrying patterns.

Sarai

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »

Edelweiss thank you. Sounds daft but I never studied the principle of my monthly cycle I just let it happen. Thanks for exposing.
Yes I will stick it on and hope.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »

Hi Sarai

I've been busy for a few days and missed your post. The main point is that continuous combined HRT (whether patch, pill or gel +progestogen) like the one you have been given, entails taking a progestogen the whole time as edelweiss said, so personally in your position I would actually start with a cyclical HRT  (which is a bit closer to the natural cycle although not exactly) because the oestrogen dose is constant). This way you would be able to gauge whether you were OK on the oestrogen only part and how your experience of HRT changed (or not) as you went onto the Evorel conti patches (which would be the second two weeks of the month), and then back to the oestrogen only.

I would strongly recommend Evorel sequi - if this is the type you are going to try - which does just this.

Re your other point - I did look up about Evorel conti and I think it is alone amongst the continuous combined HRT types to say it is suitable when a woman has been 18 months without periods. Pretty well all the others I looked at give 12 months and this is the yardstick for deciding that a woman is post-menopausal. Maybe there us less breakthrough bleeding and spotting on this particular HRT once a woman has been 18 months period free? It can't do you any harm if you are not 18 months post-meno though!

Hurdity x

Sarai

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 08:21:33 PM »

Hurdity I have been told it's Evorel Conti have to collect tomorrow as chemist didn't have them in.
So that means I get oestrogen and progesterone all month?
I guess I need to try. My gp is very kind but young enough to be my son (awkward) all he want is low oestrogen as he's scared of blood clots.
I didn't fancy a cycle again but that's better than side effects or more fractures if necessary.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »

Hasty I just looked it up because I was surprised too! Maybe the advice has recently been changed. I am aware that some women are tried on this one while still peri-menopausal - but advised to go onto sequential HRT if there is breakthrough bleeding due to their own cycle.

I still would not choose to start any HRT as a continuous combined - unless there was a medical reason re bleeding etc, because of the potential progestogenic effects.

I agree though - don't fret!!!

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »

OK we just posted at same time - yes give it a go - you can always change to sequi if it's not for you :)

Hurdity x

Sarai

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »

Thanks ladies. I think I will cut them in half at first to break my body back in gently.
I don't want to go back to being a hormonal teenager again after a year of nothing.

ancient runner

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »

No expert on this but I think I have read on here that some patches can't/shouldn't be cut in half.

Sarai

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 02:12:20 PM »

It's too late now I did it. I read it was ok as the dose is evenly spread all over the patch.
I'm sitting here now waiting to self combust I'm so scared of side effects.

vickypk

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »

Hi Sarai
Good luck with the patches.  I've been using those for 18 months and yes you can cut the patches in half.
xx

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »

Ditto - yes you can! Dr Currie answered this in a magazine question several years ago.

Hope it works for you...

Hurdity x