Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Femoston vs Femseven sequi "What's the best HRT for mood problems: part 2"  (Read 2924 times)

Sally66

This is a follow on from my earlier thread: "What's the best HRT for mood problems" which is now taking a different turn

I phoned for an appointment with my GP at 8.00am this morning to get an HRT prescription (the surgery don't take advanced bookings). I went into a queue for nearly 10 mins and when the receptionist picked up she told me all the appointments were gone and asked about my 'symptoms'.

I explained and she said a doctor would phone me back. So at 9.30 I get a call from the GP who was extremely abrupt. I told her I couldn't get on with the ADs she'd initially prescribed and wanted to try the HRT as we'd discussed in the first appointment. She then started on about the cancer risks (nothing about the potential benefits) but I kept insisting and also talked her away from both Elleste and Premak because of the progesterone issues (thanks Hurdity!). She eventually suggested Femseven sequi rather than Femoston. She said it was the gentlest of the lot?

However, she didn't seem to have even heard of Femoston when I mentioned it, which was worrying, and I'm wondering whether she wasn't just a bit confused about things herself? Anyway she wrote a prescription and I picked it up in the afternoon.

So I've just read up a bit on the board about the Femseven sequi and it does seem like quite a good one (and I don't mind it being in a patch). I'm quite tempted to give it a go ...

So Femoston vs Femseven sequi anyone? Any views?

Thank you!

S x

dahliagirl

Hi - I am on femoston 2/10.  Femseven is a medium dose, so like taking a 2 mg tablet (depending on absorption).

Usually with tablets, they start more gradually on 1mg and work up to 2mg if it does not work.  But the patches are only medium.

I would give it a go.  Make sure it sticks.  Be kind to yourself for the first couple of weeks.

MicheleMaBelle

Well done Sally66- give it a go!

Binbon2

I hope it helps with your symptoms and helps with all the work stuff. Let us know how you get on.

Sally66

@michelemabelle
@binbon2

Thanks - stuck the first patch on today. Wish me luck  :)

And have an appointment with HR next week to discuss my 'issues' - not looking forward to it but guess it all needs to be documented now ...

Thanks again for all your support - I'll let you know how things pan out ...

S x

Sally66

@rockhopper Great - glad to hear you've given it a 10/10! I've had it stuck on my bum for about 4 hours now so early days for me :) I haven't had an allergic reaction to it though - which is a good start I think

@dahliagirl - thanks - I took extra care with the application - holding it on with my palm for 30 seconds as recommended. Really hope it doesn't fall off over the course of the week!

xx

Binbon2

My patch (Everol 50 sequi) usually stays on well too - the only issue I have had is where I have managed to get it stick to itself and then tried to unstick it. The edge isn't always so sticky after that - so usually use micropore to keep it in place.

I managed to double dose last night - put my new patch on and forgot to take the old one off. I only noticed this morning. it might explain why I had such a disturbed night sleep.

Sally66 - good luck for the HR appointment. It is horrible, and horrible to have to tell them your personal details. Are you allowed to take in a colleague for support? I took in our local site employee representative to my HR meetings. He was also my boss for a few years. He documented everything that was said for me, and was really helpful in sticking up for me and trying to come up with solutions to suit me and the company.

Hope the meeting goes OK for you.

Binbon2

Hope you got on OK with your meeting, Sally66. Have been thinking of you.

Sally66

Hi Binbon

Well the meeting wasn't great tbh. I went in by myself and they were not especially interested or supportive which I was expecting. It was all very embarrassing and they looked at me (and each other) like I was trying to 'swing the lead' when I brought up menopause as a source of my difficulties and problems. Anyway, I'm seeing a therapist through the employee assistance program on Monday but I don't know how much help they can really offer. They report back to managers so it's not like they're totally on my side ...

Thanks so much for getting in touch Binbon:thankyou:

S x

MicheleMaBelle

Hi Sally66- print out a copy of these guidelines
https://www.som.org.uk/sites/som.org.uk/files/Guidance-on-menopause-and-the-workplace.pdf

In particular

...to have a substantial adverse effect on normal day to day activities – potentially meeting the legal de nition of a disability under the Equality Act.

It's high time that Employers understood the difficulties that some women face!
Stand your ground x

Binbon2

Hi Sally66

Sorry to hear how your meeting went. Unfortunately I don't think there is much understanding of how the menopause can affect some people. I often felt that my work thought I was 'swinging the lead' too when I was on long term sick last year. I still do sometimes when I tell people that the menopause is the reason why I am not working at the moment. It is difficult when people can't see that you are struggling as you look normal. I often wish I could swap a doubter into my body for a day so they can see how it really feels.

I hope that you get some help seeing the therapist. I was a bit wary about occupational health when I saw them as I felt they would be on the company's side, but actually they were two of the most helpful people I have seen. I think the therapist has a duty of care primarily to you. And they should at least have an understanding of anxiety and how it can affect people.

The mental health nurse I saw (through the NHS) made me feel so much better because she just listened to me, said it was OK to feel anxious given the horrible work situation and lack of support/understanding from them and she believed that the menopause was the cause of my problems. It really helped just to be able to talk about my feelings and worries. I hope you get the same support from the therapist on Monday.

x