Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Terror attack in Westminster  (Read 6212 times)

breeze

Terror attack in Westminster
« on: March 22, 2017, 06:01:27 PM »

I expect most of you will have seen the developing situation.  We were warned an attack was likely but still a shock.

Lets hope the death toll is not to great.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Terror attack in Westminster
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 06:05:11 PM »

I had already added this to the Thread previously begun after Munich

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »

No where is secure sadly ..... there are often copy cat attacks too because if 1 gets the result 'they' want ....... this is why all school children should do First Aid, I would be absolutely no good if these skills were required  :'(.  Once the shock response has gone the public will return to 'normal'.  However, I think that the News coverage is too much, it gives the attackers what they crave, notoriaty .... BBC has a 24 rolling News Channel so after the News Flash we could have been diverted there. 

There maybe 1 suspect 'at large' >sigh<

cubagirl

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »

I cried when I heard about police officer who died, doing his job. My hubby used to be in the police up here & always worried about him. However, I have questions as to how someone got so close with a knife. Why did politicians only find out through social media on their mobiles? Surely they should have been informed faster.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 09:05:57 PM »

I cried when I heard about police officer who died, doing his job. My hubby used to be in the police up here & always worried about him.

Me too.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »

One would have thought that all those in the Front Line would at least have Flak Jackets on routinely!  Questions will be asked about how he got in through the gates. 

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 03:54:10 PM »

However, I think that the News coverage is too much, it gives the attackers what they crave, notoriaty ....

I said exactly the same to my husband yesterday evening CLKD

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 04:42:39 PM »

They don't get notoriety if you don't name them - I think there has been a deliberate policy not to name the attacker - Scotland Yard chap said last night and asked the media to refrain from reporting the identity I think? However all will be revealed at some point no doubt, since they have said they know who he is.....

I agree that even though most police are not armed they should at least wear protective clothing - but maybe they do - you can't cover the whole body in armour, so there are still vulnerable places.

Hurdity x

Megamind

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »

They have named him now Hurdity but they actually named him last night on Channel 4 news.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »

Oh right! I last listened to news at lunchtime. I didn't hear that - he wasn't named today on Radio 4 at lunchtime - I'm pretty sure press were defo asked not to name him by Scot Yard, but obvs some did.

Hurdity x

Scampi

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 06:53:40 PM »

I suppose the problem with not naming them is the police cannot then ask for information about them.  Tough call.

I was surprised to hear that the police guarding the entrances to Parliament are not routinely armed ... think that might change.

Megamind

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »

Oh right! I last listened to news at lunchtime. I didn't hear that - he wasn't named today on Radio 4 at lunchtime - I'm pretty sure press were defo asked not to name him by Scot Yard, but obvs some did.

Hurdity x

It turned out Channel 4 had named the wrong man! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4344208/C4-Wikipedia-wrong-man-Westminster-attacker.html

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »

Probaby because that does not sell as many newspapers  ::)

breeze

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »

I think it's more to do with the 'radicalised in prison' aspect.  It seems our prison system is rife with disaffected young men being brainwashed by radicals. 

It seems ironical that we send people to prison to reform them and they come out worse than when they went in.

Something needs to change, it puts us all in danger.