Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Credit card fraud  (Read 12075 times)

Megamind

Re: Credit card fraud
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »

They certainly went to town. Thieving b'stards!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »

;D

Annie0710

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 03:34:56 PM »

They certainly went to town. Thieving b'stards!

lol that's exactly what my daughter said !

They probably picked up their £12.50 Chinese takeaway to go with their £97 wine ! X

Evelyn63

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 06:44:15 PM »

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago.  It was a savings account but one I occasionally dipped into for present buying or similar.  I had used it to purchase a gift voucher for a friend, over the phone .  That all went through smoothly but weeks later , for some reason I decided to check my account and discovered I had been hacked !   It was incredible, restaurants, car hire, off licence.  I was distraught.  Halifax were very good and reimbursed me in full.  I was able to prove I was at a wedding all day the day of the car hire plus it was in a different country !  It made me very wary and I check regulary now.

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »

That's dreadful. Annie it's good that your bank sorted it out for you though.

I always check all my accounts. I have a program on my computer where I enter in all my transactions and that makes it very easy to balance the accounts when the statement arrives.

I really recommend everyone does something similar. There are lots of programs and apps around. The one I use is an old Microsoft program which is very user friendly, but unfortunately isn't available anymore.
I also have a software prog on my laptop where all transactions get entered. I am also a light CC user so would notice any extra item. Many years ago I found one suspect transaction for £15 which just said 'goods' against it and I didn't know the name of the firm. I queried it and the CC provider agreed to suspend it while they asked the claimant for further details/proof. First they suggested that I had bought petrol somewhere but I don't drive. They heard nothing from the claimant so wrote it off.

I am glad that this one got sorted

Annie0710

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »

I don't use my CC much so just pay it off each month so don't (didn't) need to check it.  What alerted me was a text message from the bank asking for an extra payment as I'm near my limit.  That rang alarm bells and the rest is now history x

Dana

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2017, 01:32:59 AM »

I have internet banking but I still like to receive the paper copy which obviously annoys them as they're aways prompting me on internet banking to choose 'paperless'.

You still get copies of your statement even if you go "paperless". My bank sends me an email to tell me my new statement is available and I just go online to my account and print it out (or you can just view it if you don't have a printer). However, make sure you make a practice of NEVER clicking on any links that might be in the email, just in case it hasn't really come from your bank. Actually log on to your account and access your statement that way.

Megamind

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 08:52:00 AM »

Yes i'm aware of that. I do view it online as well. I don't have a printer but I still like to receive my paper copy.

ariadne

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2017, 07:23:08 PM »

Regarding passwords. I have adopted a method my son used to use  and I'm not giving anything away by describing it.

He used to use a single password plus a combination of numbers that he remembered and then added the first few letters of the website.

He now uses a Password Manager instead ( Password Managers can generate complex passwords for each website and store them, requiring you to remember just a single password )   But that idea worries me because what if the Password Manager site itself gets hacked!

Ariadne xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 07:34:53 PM »

I agree Adriadne - it was recommended to me recently by a Solicitor but I prefer my method which I can remember.

We have a present/gift account with not a lot in it, which gets topped up appropriately.  In case  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 11:22:41 AM »

I have a selection of 4 complicated passwords using upper and lower case plus numbers and I rotate them around my websites every few months.  I have a note in my diary to remind me of the composition of them but the clues are in code that I understand.  For example a 14 character password with upper and lower case plus numbers is identified by M43, another will be listed as K7 or H4.  Fortunately I have a photographic memory for number sequences and can remember the full composition of each one. I also use numbers in place of letters to spell out a word such as 5 for S or 4 for A or 6 for G.

It sounds complicated but it really isn't.

Hubby has a book with all his passwords listed which I think is risky  :-\
Pages: 1 [2]