Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: How safe is modern technology - discussion  (Read 5368 times)

babyjane

How safe is modern technology - discussion
« on: March 22, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »

We cannot truly know how safe modern technology is but what do people think as it affects us all especially our children and grandchildren's generation?  :-\

We have a wi fi hub, 2 laptops, 2 mobile phones a TV and Tivo box, wi fi boiler programmer and yesterday we had our electricity Smart meter fitted.  All these lights and rays going out into the environment we live in day to day.

Hubby made a good point this morning that his grandfather was suspicious of electricity and would not have a television or a telephone in his house.  Is it any different today?  Are we more at risk from the onslaught of modern technology and electromagnetic fields?  Could it be contributing to some of the modern health problems and fatigue syndromes we see emerging  ???

We will never know but I am curious what others think  :)

Salad

Re: How safe is modern technology - discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »

I expect there is an environmental impact but what concerns me more is seeing a mum on a phone instead of interacting with their baby. Neurological and speech development so crucial at this age: neural pathways literally dying off. Technology does have its place but to enhance not to the detriment of humanity.
Don't get me started on the declining use of handwriting  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:58:54 AM »

. Technology does have its place but to enhance not to the detriment of humanity.
Don't get me started on the declining use of handwriting  ;D

I know what you mean.
Letter writing, thank you letters, birthday cards.  A birthday greeting on Facebook just doesnt cut it with me I'm afraid.  I have 14 lovely 60th birthday cards which I took down recently and I am keeping every one of them  :)

I am a dinosaur and I also like hard copies of family photos in an album to look at and show round.  Lugging the laptop down to show digital images is just not the same for a special occasion, especially to show elderly relatives.

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »

:thankyou: Stellajane

Going back to grandad not wanting a TV or phone, I think every generation will have some degree of 'progress' to deal with but I can't help wondering, apart from the big brother aspect, how safe exposure to all these rays is.  I seem to remember there was a health scare attached to mobile phones in the beginning, especially for children's developing brains.  Have they forgotton about that now and there are phone masts everywhere.

Only time will tell if a health crisis comes from this in the future as surely our brains and bodies were not made to absorb all this stuff and we have not yet evolved sufficiently to withstand it in this generation.

In a way I am glad we will not be here to see too much of it but I wonder what the future holds for the grandchildren's generation.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:02:44 PM »

Oh Good Topic!

I'm waiting 4 when of the terrorist groups pulls the plug on the WWW - only a matter of time I fear >sigh<

Years ago my F in L would pull all the plugs from sockets and switch off the main cooker electric input, consequently we came home to a cold house with no meal ready  ::) - we had pre-set the oven and as I walked in, I knew it hadn't clicked on as the kitchen was cold. 

Years ago the worry was how much radiation people were getting from their TVs  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 12:31:17 PM »

Those older phones are being sold again rather than throwing them away .... for those of us who don't need 'extras' they do well for emergency use.  That'll be a spider controlling it all then  ;D

cubagirl

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 12:43:39 PM »

My daughter unplugs almost everything every night, visit to shops etc. I used to do the same, but not so nowadays as many things take so long to "reboot."

My hubby only changed to a touchscreen mobile about a year ago. I seldom use my mobile for much more than phoning or texting. Don't get me started on folk who lay their phones on the table during a meal!!!!

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »

we don't unplug but we do switch of the wi fi hub and don't leave the TV or laptops on standby. We also switch off our mobile phones when we go to bed.

I also use a traditional old 'dinosaur phone that just does calls and texts.  It's all I need and I told my 31 year old daughter off at the weekend for using her phone at the dinner table.  :)

Our new smart meter is quite an eye opener though as it tracks the amount of electricity used in a day and you can also see how much you average in a hour!  Apparently it costs 11p to boil a full 1.L kettle of water for a pot of tea.  Perhaps now my husband will stop boiling a whole kettle when he just wants to make a single mug of tea  ::)