Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: At my wits end  (Read 2166 times)

sjb0610

At my wits end
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:03:30 AM »

For six years now I have been experiencing very bad bladder problems (sensory urgency).  I have tried everything - topical HRT, long term antibiotics, urethral stretch, bladder investigations, instills, etc to calm it down and get back to how I was before this nightmare began.    For the last four months I have been on nightly topical HRT using ovestin, vagifem (which burned) and this week Estring as my research showed that it can help chronic bladder symptoms linked to the menopause.  My bladder symptoms for the last four weeks have gone through the roof with constant feelings of a full bladder even when I have just gone.  I leave it until I really need to go with the hope that the feeling won't come back, but it does.  I have been using Multigyn to try and calm down the soreness and burning I feel from time to time which I thought might be BV as got diagnosed with anaerobic bacteria in January and was prescribed Metronizadole.  I took that then took Coamoxiclav directly afterwards after having visited the gp for the ongoing chronic uti symptoms although dipstick was negative.  I then took a few Fluconazole.  Visited gp last week but urine sample was negative with the dipstick.  He did not send it off for culture.    Most nights I sleep through although I do wake up about 4am or 5am then once awake my  bladder symptoms rule till I then go to sleep at night.  I have a white discharge but it does not look like thrush as I have had that in the past.  I really can't go on like this as I am becoming housebound and can't function.  Symptoms remain really bad with discomfort in urethral area more than anywhere else and I am at my wits end....... 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:32:53 AM by sjb0610 »

Salad

Re: At my wits end
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »

Sorry to hear you're having such a rotten time  :(

Have you been referred and followed up by a urologist/gynaecologist for your problems?

Hopefully other people might be able to offer some advice as I'm sure you are not alone with this sort of problem, it just feels like it   :foryou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »

Your GP is not giving you good service  :bang:  the ONLY way to tell if there is infection is if a fresh urine sample is sent to a Lab.! dip stick tells nowt.  I would take a morning sample to your Surgery and ask the Practice Nurse to send it for proper analysis.  Only then can the correct AB be prescribed.

If you have had long term ABs this may be some of the problem.  I think that you should ask for either Vagifem or Ovestin and use for 3 weeks every night: that's 1 week longer than recommended: then every other night ........ make sure that the outer lips remain moist too and keep hydrated. 

A white discharge is normal.  Unless there is an odour or a blood stain or green colour .......

There is a thread here on long-term bladder problems but I can't remember what it's called ........

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:42:56 PM »

There are some good threads about bladder issues so do try and find them.
There is concern about the standard treatment of UTIs on the NHS, as the usual 3 day courses of ABs could well be causing imbedded infections which result in these types of long term problems.
You could ask to be referred for help with incontinence issues as there are special clinics and they will advice about retraining your bladder. In the mean time avoid caffeine , alcohol and any acidic drinks. Drink a glass of water with half a teaspoon of bicarbonate morning and evening. Drink small amounts of water through the day and gradually leave longer times between peeing. Keep using the Vagefem or Estring but not the oestrogen creams. Multi gyn is great if you have BV but can make things over acidic and cause burning - use some SYLK instead.
I've suffered with this on and off for many years and it's something you have to manage in various ways  domlook at my thread about 'The Burning Club. DG x