Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Credit card fraud  (Read 12078 times)

Annie0710

Credit card fraud
« on: March 16, 2017, 08:58:06 PM »

Like an idiot I never checked my credit card statements on my app, just paid each month I get paid (i do check my current/business account ) and realised today someone in the London area has been using it and racked up over £570 worth of debt for me

Bank was lovely, went through them all, cancelled my card and asked my permission for police to be informed, ordered me a new card and will be reimbursing me in full

If you don't check yours make sure you do from now on x

flutterby

Re: Credit card fraud
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »

Thank goodness that you are getting your money back Annie. What an awful shock though. Flutterbyx

Dana

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:10:23 PM »

That's dreadful. Annie it's good that your bank sorted it out for you though.

I always check all my accounts. I have a program on my computer where I enter in all my transactions and that makes it very easy to balance the accounts when the statement arrives.

I really recommend everyone does something similar. There are lots of programs and apps around. The one I use is an old Microsoft program which is very user friendly, but unfortunately isn't available anymore.

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:23:22 PM »

I felt sick to the stomach when I realised.  I was near to tears on the phone and to be fair I deserved a bit of a telling off for not being vigilant but she said she'll let me off this time but I must keep checking so if it happens again I'll realise straight away.  This was happening from mid jan to this week

X

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »

Off to check my bank account! I don't check it as often as I should as you have to use little gadget with your card, which is inconvenient and fiddly. I do check my credit card account though as I use it for most of my transactions. I did have over a £1000 taken from my credit card account once, but it was replaced almost immediately all but 37p! I reported it though and I got a new card and a refund of the 37p. Probably a mistake, but shouldn't have happened. Left an uncomfortable feeling about security, but things have been tightened up since then.

Megamind

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 09:11:17 AM »

For this reason i still ask for paper copies of my bill. A few years ago i noticed two transactions that weren't mine. Got the money back. The man i spoke to about it asked if i did a lot of internet shopping and i said yes. He said unfortunately that's how they get your details.

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »

Yes I do a lot of Internet shopping too and she said that's how it's happened and to change passwords regularly, that bit scares me not knowing what p/word is used on each one x

Megamind

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 01:22:29 PM »

I agree about the difficulty with passwords as now they seem to want a number, a capital letter a password with 8 plus characters. It gets very confusing. Also, most people internet shop nowadays. I do scrutinise my bill. I have internet banking but I still like to receive the paper copy which obviously annoys them as they're aways prompting me on internet banking to choose 'paperless'. If I remember correctly one of the transactions was to TV Licensing and I said to the fraud dept that is definitely not me as I pay mine by direct debit and I think the other one was to British Gas who I wasn't even with. I do think it's good the way they refund you straightaway.

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 01:37:53 PM »

I'd heard they do refund but thought you'd need to prove you didn't make those transactions.  But no, straightaway she told me not to get upset or panicky as I'll get all the money back x

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »

It's so difficult keeping track of different passwords.
I'm so glad the bank were nice with you.

I do keep a record of different passwords, but only with prompts, not the full password. What annoys me is that different sites have different requirements and to make a strong password you have to make it so complicated that you can't remember it yourself, well certainly not with menobrain!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 01:46:00 PM »

The Bank will notice any 'un-toward' activity, i.e. if you never travel abroad but the card is activated outside the UK.  Himself keeps a tight eye and notes down what we spend .... we pay off our Credit Card monthly. 

So pleased that the Bank was on your side!

Megamind

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 02:22:26 PM »

I'd heard they do refund but thought you'd need to prove you didn't make those transactions.  But no, straightaway she told me not to get upset or panicky as I'll get all the money back x

Yes I didn't have to provide proof to them that I paid my my TV Licence by Direct Debit he just took my word for it likewise when I said I wasn't with British Gas.

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 02:28:45 PM »

If I use my cards abroad I get a text message warning me it's been used out of uk

They started their spree in Cheshunt using it instore in tesco about 5 times in 2 days, all for £5 and £10s, I presume to test it.  Then they ordered wine, takeaways, bedding , pc ware, electrical items from tesco, Argos , beauty website.  There was only one fashion website that cancelled the transaction and the lady said they would've smelt a rat and cancelled the goods being delivered x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »

Pity you don't get to keep what they have spent your money on  ;D

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 02:48:52 PM »

Not the £97 on wine ! X
Pages: [1] 2