Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi All, another new member after some sdvise please!  (Read 1221 times)

jchapma2

Hi All, another new member after some sdvise please!
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:05:52 AM »

Hi All,

This is a great forum and so glad I found it.  I've never posted on anything like this but would be very grateful for any advise.
I recently turned 40 and think I may be in Perimenopause.  My mum had to have a Hysterectomy at 40 and my sister started her menopause at 45 ish.

Symptoms:
For a couple of years I have been experience intermittent hot sweats at night which come and go.  Since November 2016 these have been more frequent. 
Since September last year I have been experiencing vestibular problems and balance issued, dry eyes and general 'foggy' feeling sometimes associated with headaches and sinus issues - awaiting vestibular rehab.  ? vestibular migraines.
In November last year I became unwell with UTI, bowel upset, right sided abdo pain and intermittent flushing/fever and chills and weak muscles/flu type symptoms.  I had various blood tests all normal, Chest xray - normal, CT abdomen and Pelvis - normal, recent colonoscopy - normal.  Whilst I think I must have had an awful virus I feel it may have coincided with perimenopause symptoms.
I am now getting facial flushing throughout the day - particularly in the afternoons/evenings and after alcohol/caffine/hot food.
I'm more bloated than usual.
I do not menstruate as have a Mirena coil insitu so it's difficult to work out my cycle.
I had hormonal bloods in Jan - all normal: Eostrodil 203, LH 7.4 and FSH 7.6 but am wondering if this can be the case with a coil insitu?

I recently had my coil changed and chatted to GP who introduced me to this website and discussed HRT - not sure what to do as symptoms cause me to think I may be Peri but bloods don't.

Any advise would be welcome.
Thanks for listening
Jchapma2

nearly50

Re: Hi All, another new member after some sdvise please!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »

Hi jchapma2 and welcome to the forum.

Just wondering if you had your thryoid checked?

Hormonal blood checks are notoriously unreliable as hormones go up and down so much - my FSH was 8 or so last year but my doctor said it meant nothing and we should go by symptoms because I was over 45. Feel for women under the age of 40.

Have you tried sage for the nightsweats? This helped me in the earlier stages, and might be worth a try.

Hopefully someone else will be on to help.

jchapma2

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 10:27:49 AM »

Hi and thank you nearly 50,

Yes I had thyroid checked and all normal, had so many blood tests and scans late last year as lost weight and lymph glands were up too (now back to normal weight and lymph glands back to normal size) but flushing and balance/urinary symptoms ongoing.  Everything came back normal.  Feel so much better in myself just hot, tired, balance problems and likely migraines started. 

Thanks for the advise re sage - am going to look at supplements today.

Thanks you
jchapma2

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 02:42:55 PM »

Hi jchapma2

:welcomemm:

From what I gather FSH levels are unaffected by Mirena. As you say it is difficult to tell where you are in menopause due to the Mirena. However if you are getting symptoms and you have a family history of early menopause you should ask your doctor for further blood tests. According to the NICE Guidelines on menopause, premature menopause (under 40) is diagnosed partly by two blood tests taken 4-6 weeks apart - recognising that a single blood test is insufficient to determine your status because they are so variable as nearly50 says.

Reducing caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods are recommended to help reduce the impact of night sweats in the short term, as well as losing weight ( if necessary) and taking more exercise. Also making any changes to your diet that is needed to reduce reliability on supplements, will stand you in good stead for your future health.

Hurdity x

jchapma2

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »

Thank you Hurdity.
I will ask for repeat bloods I think when I'm next at GP.

I rarely drink now and have only one caffeinated drink a day. I have been to chemist to get some supplements today somwill see if that helps.

Thanks for your advice, it's a great forum.
 :) :) :)