Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hi, another newbie here  (Read 1232 times)

ChrisNolan

Hi, another newbie here
« on: March 13, 2017, 05:30:12 PM »

Hi, thanks for accepting me to this great forum. Found you all by chance when searching for my symptoms and loved the fact there seemed to be so much help and advice here. I am 56 and think I must be post meno. Not had bleeding for 4 years and been through flushes and night sweats without too much trouble so far but suddenly 3 weeks ago I started bleeding and it shows no signs yet of stopping. Also started to have major urine leakage and frequency although no pain so far. Went to gp and had a routine exam and doc said I had a slight prolapse which was pressing on my bladder which accounts for the urinary problems I guess. Did some blood tests and referred to cancer screening within 2 weeks. Was major worried about this at the time but reading the forum it seems like it is usual with unexpected bleeding. Not sure what to expect next to be honest so would be grateful for any advice. Just want the bleeding to go away, am so tired and feeling weak just lately dont even want to get up . I always had problems in the past with heavy bleeds and used a mirena for 10 years with no problems. Last one was removed in August last year and nothing since then - thanks for listening - Chris

Taz2

Re: Hi, another newbie here
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:30:15 PM »

Hi ChrisNolan - welcome to the forum.

Sorry that you are having to put up with bleeding and fatigue and the worry of the cancer screening but you are right in that it is NHS guidelines that you are referred quickly for investigation if you have unexpected bleeding after a year or more without. Although you haven't had bleeding for four years, if you have had the Mirena in for all of that time, then it is difficult to tell where you actually are in menopause so it could be that you would have been one of the  "late finishers" period wise and the bleeding is due to no longer having the Mirena in place.

You will find lots of support and friendship on here. Please let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:16:05 PM »

:welcomemm:  make sure that you aren't anaemic too!  Your GP is following procedures as any un-explained bleeding after a gap of 2+ years should be investigated.  Usually nowt of note is found but best to sort it, puts one's mind at rest!

Any urinary problems can be annoying, do read the various threads about vaginal atrophy on here.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may dry out which includes the vagina, for me symptoms presented with urine-type infections but there was no sign of infection when the sample was sent to a Lab. so my GP prescribed treatment which is delivered directly into the vagina.  Works 4 me and the feeling of razor blades up there went  ::)

Let us know how you get on!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »

Hi ChrisNolan

:welcomemm: from me too!

Yes I agree with what Taz has said - you haven't been properly bleed free for 4 years in the sense that it counts as reaching menopause. Many women stop bleeding on a Mirena well before menopause because that's what it's designed to do ie control bleeding. Nevertheless good that the doc is referring you and especially due to your age as well as the bleeding - even though as Taz says you could be a late menopauser.

Did you have any other signs that a period was imminent ie pms?

Hopefully your investigations will show that all is well, and do try not to worry in the meantime.

Hurdity x

ChrisNolan

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »

thanks for the replies, quick update, got my referral through and went for a transvaginal scan today but doctor struggled with the probe as he said the neck of my womb was too small so he did some more blood tests and I am booked in for another scan next week where they will put me to sleep and have a proper look inside. In the meantime I have found out from my mum that both of my sisters have had ovarian cancer (nice of her to tell me now) Estranged family - long story. Mentioned this to the doctor who said I would have to have gene testing done. One of my sisters passed over 7 years ago and no contact with the other one so cant find out any more regarding their symptoms or progress. Mum has early dementia so not able to question her so sat here now a bit more worried than I was before

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:00:31 PM »

Sorry to hear about your sister and your family history and situation - and I can understand why you would perhpas be a bit concerned. However at least you are being investigated properly and let's hope that all is well. I can't say don't worry as I would be in your situation but try to occupy yourself with things to take your mind off the scan next week.

Take care and let us know how you get on next week (this week?)

Hurdity x  :hug: