Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 1670 times)

hotterthan

Greetings
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:48:41 PM »

My skills are a bit reptilian so I hope this is the way to post an initial greeting.  I am 55, from western Canada, and I am 4 months into "official" menopause, following 1 year without a period.  I have experienced severe and escalating night sweats, hot flashes and sweats all day too.  Symptoms started 8 years ago.  In the last 3, I experienced disabling dizziness, lack of balance, brain fog, racing heart, extreme anxiety.  After having suffered a lifetime of crippling PMS symptoms, I thought the menopause transition would bring some sort of blessed relief.  I love being a woman and the body I live in, but what a curse this has all been!

I have no children, have br cancer history.  I am advised that no HRT or substances that mimic estrogen are indicated.  Have been prescribed fluoxetine (AD) and gabapentin for nights.  I am a life-long horse woman and have always felt strong and capable.  I cannot remember when I last felt lively, happy and well.  I am glad to find this forum and realize I have "sisters" in my plight.

Ju Ju

Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:56:19 PM »

:welcomemm:

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:45:57 PM »

Hello hotterthan and welcome to the forum.

This can be a tough time in our lives but you have come to the right place for help and support.
The sisterhood spreads far and wide!

Take care and keep posting.

K.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »

Welcome Hotterthan. Have a look at treatment options on the site- the guidelines over this side of the pond are that anti depressants should not be offered as the first line of defence for " depression " and sweats but they are still routinely offered by a lot of doctors. Hope you find a solution that works for you x :welcomemm:

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »

Hi and Welcome Hotterthan

Have just recently joined myself!  I'm 54 and for me things have been seeming to fall apart gradually for a while myself I have the same issues as yourself as well as awful muscle pain I do have an underlying condition Spina Bifida which has always given me mobility issues anyway but over the last year things just seem to have gotten much worse. I too have always been an anxious person but going through the menopause seems to be making this worse I have had palpitations for quite a few years have you had yours checked out? They seem to be very common during the peri and full menopause. I too have been a life long horsewoman I started riding when I was around 5 years old it was recommended to strengthen my legs and I never looked back did showjumping, dressage etc a few years ago I lost my last horse Shannon in his 30's I have always meant to get back in to riding but life has just got in the way  :) the folks on here are very supportive and it does help to see that we're not losing our minds as so many of us are going through the same awful time but I'm sure we'll get there in the end. Funnily enough I had a doc appointment today as I had had bloods thyroid etc done all were fine except I am low in Vit D but my doc also had recommended fluoxetine which she thought would help my anxiety and low mood and it appears it is an antidepressant have you started taking it yet?

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »

Hi

No she just said it was low I have been prescribed Fultium-D3 800 IU capsules equivalent to 20 micro grams Vitamin D3 and I have to take 1 in the morning

Sorry Hotterthan don't want to hijack you're post x

Elliemay

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 09:33:18 PM »

Hi Hotterthan, Ive just joined too after 6 years of feeling wrung out! there seems to be a lot of good info and lovely people on here.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 11:10:31 PM »

:welcomemm:

One has to weigh up quality of Life against the possible low? risk that you may get breast cancer.  My lump was oestrogen dominant but if I suffered half of what ladies here complain about, I would be pushing for HRT.  Certainly there is no reason not to have localised HRT if you develop vaginal atrophy: the body may dry out as oestrogen levels drop, that is - deep in the ears, eyes, skin, vagina oh joys: not!  Also muscles may become lax = aches and pains, another set of joys: not!

I work on the thought that a bus might be along and that would be it! so the risk of HRT to ease symptoms which may be debilitating is worth trying  ;).  Maybe keep a list of symptoms/mood/food to chart how you are for 3-4 months, then seek advice about how to ease your worst symptoms?

How's the weather been in Canada?