Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena and Fibroid  (Read 561 times)

Bexs

Mirena and Fibroid
« on: September 07, 2023, 11:22:23 AM »

Morning ladies, well I've seen the doctor and my mirena strings have well and truly disappeared up in my womb! In fact she questioned whether mirena was still in my womb at all! I told her they said it was still there somewhere when I had my ultrasound.....She checked the report and said that because they are not sure where it is due to being squashed by my large fibroid it will not protect me for contraception!! 😳😳 They could have told me that a month ago!! 🤬😱 So I have to go back on the pill starting today! So mirena has to stay until I get my gynae appointment in the hospital! They will have the remove it surgically!! 😳🧐 She thinks all the pain I am having is from mirena as it's alot of the time and she's prescribed me heavy duty painkillers and something to protect my stomach lining too. She said she thinks gynae wait is about 18 weeks.

Anyone have a gynae referral recently? How long did it take? Fed up of the pain. Just want mirena and the fibroid gone for good.

Nas

Re: Mirena and Fibroid
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 03:10:48 PM »

Oh crikey Becx
What a palaver, I am sorry!

What kind of pain are you in?
Mine is like period pain day and night. Painkillers don’t work. I could actually cry I am so so sick of it.

I am wondering whether I should have had the mirena removed now? I just don’t know, but I do also have permanent pain even though it’s in situ.

Can you afford to pay for a private removal of your coil?

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 03:11:27 PM »

Have been following your awful experiences Bexs,
Just wanted to wish you well and sincerely hope your appt can come quicker. Seems insane you were not advised of pregnancy risks earlier. And now having to dose with painkillers to manage.

I have had three fibroids for many years and had mirena fitted last year so just keeping my fingers crossed I won't be affected the same way. Am sure I was told fibroids get smaller as we age...

Best wishes to you

SarahT

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 03:14:48 PM »

Has I know you understandably lost your nerve and kept the mirena in after your appt. I think maybe your concerns are having to then find an alternative progesterone should you decide to stay on hrt. May be worth having another thought to remove it and discuss progesterones?

I just wish you a happy ever after!  If only we found that magic wand. Thinking of you x

Bexs

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 05:03:32 PM »

Nas - My pain varies from severe period cramps, low back pain and pressure to feeling like something is sticking in me when I sit down like in my cervix! I also get shooting pains in the side of my back. They woke me up last night! I must admit I was going to chicken out of having it removed today if the doctor said the pain was just from the fibroid, but it seems it could be both? The doctor I saw was really up for removing the mirena to take one thing out of the equation pain wise. Then if the pain is still the same at least I would know it's just the fibroid. I have been given naproxen and omeprazole.

SarahT - Thank you for your kind words. I thought fibroids shrunk to but mine has gone from 1-2cm to 6cm by 6 cm!! Doctor thinks I am unlucky that mirena worked well for 6 months and now 11 months in is not working for me. They don't normally move after that amount of time but mine just had other plans!!

Take care both of you.

Nas

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 05:15:27 PM »

Becs, our situations are so similar. Mine was tiny last September. Now it’s 6 cm x 5 cm!!

Wish I’d had the mirena out now, like you say, you have to rule out everything where pain is concerned.

The period cramps are the pits. It’s the most miserable existence ! I’ve got some naproxen, so may have to give them a try.

What are you doing about the fibroid now? Wait for gynae?
I hope your appointment takes less than 18 weeks!

Sarah, you are totally right. I just envisaged flooding at work after the removal and bottled it.
I’ve got an appointment through for a removal on the 21st September, at the hospital where it was fitted and once again, I am deciding what to do. I simply cannot keep taking time off work for these bloody appointments, so I may wait until half term ( I work in a school).

Thanks for the good wishes partner x

Bexs

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 05:39:02 PM »

Nas,

Yes I have got to wait for gynae. It's been 2 weeks since my referral was sent to remove the fibroid. Now they have to remove the mirena as well!

Like I said before it would be easier if it's one out all out!!  ;D ;D

Take care. X

Bexs

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 08:24:42 AM »

Nas - I have made some enquiries to find out how much private removal is. Will have to wait and see how much it is??

Take care.