Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Estradiol levels on gel - 3 pumps now, how long to rise? (POF, 42)  (Read 2167 times)

hoping4best

Hello!
So, I'm finishing up my first month on Estrogel (plus vaginal progesterone gel called Crinone). Previously, I'd been on a patch and oral progesterone (Utrogestan, or Prometrium as I'm in the US). But I took a month off an restarted with a new doctor, as some of that regimen was not working well for me.

My levels were at 25 pg/ml | 92 pmol/l after about 10 days on 2 pumps of gel per day. That was enough to do away with my hot flashes, but not my other symptoms. I had ovarian failure at 38 (I've got one ovary, but it's not working at all, total failure), and I'm only 42, so I know my levels could be higher. My main troublesome symptoms that persist are:

1. Vaginal/pelvic/urethral discomfort and pain, even with nightly local Vagifem or estradiol cream

2. No lubrication of my own at all, even with nightly local estradiol

3. Zero libido (I know I may have to re-explore adding testosterone at some point in spite of continuing and intense shedding/hair loss; I was briefly on T in the past and thought it made my hair loss worse, but that was 2 years ago, the crazy hair shedding continues anyway; if I'm going to have thinning hair, I'd rather also feel good!)

My endocrinologist put me up to 3 pumps of Estrogel per day just over a week ago. Should I be feeling better already?

I much prefer the gel so far because the patches always wrinkled/came off, affecting the steadiness of my levels. Is there a stronger gel? I googled it, and am still confused as to whether I can get a stronger gel in the US. I put in a call to my endocrinologist and will see him in 10 days, so will soon know more. 

(Separate topic: here, Estrogel only comes in 50 gram canisters, so I get 3 plastic canisters per month? And I cannot recycle them? Add in the non-optional disposable Vagifem applicators, the Crinone applicators... OMG the plastic waste drives me nuts! Ugh.)

Hurdity

Re: Estradiol levels on gel - 3 pumps now, how long to rise? (POF, 42)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »

Hi hoping4best

I'm with you on the waste issue - I recycle so much including taking stuff to our local centre that the council will not take ie cardboard, plastics ( apart from bottles), plastic film, tetrapaks (juice/milk cartons) etc, but worry that most individuals do not so what I do is a tiny amount compared to what is thrown away and the plastics accumulating on the planet and especially in our oceans.....

Re the gel - I can't help here as I am not a gel user, although there is huge variability in the amount absorbed by different women ( as there is with patches) and gel is uniquely dependent on the application area. However as long as you consistently apply to the same sized area and observe the warnings re products on the skin (eg shower creams and lotions etc affecting absorption) you should be fine. In UK there is a stronger gel - Sandrena which means that you use less of it for the same amount of oestrogen - not sure if there is something similar in US? You should have a list of oestrogen preps available somewhere. Maybe even on the US version of this website (look under HRT preparations/oestrogens?

Yes you might want to think about testosterone again once you've got your oestrogen levels up.

Good luck with the increase and hope you start to feel better soon.:)

Hurdity x

hoping4best

Re: Estradiol levels on gel - 3 pumps now, how long to rise? (POF, 42)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 12:58:36 AM »

Googling tells me, I think?, that I can get Sandrena here but it's called Divigel? I'm gonna ask my doctor at my next appointment because the googles are not totally clear on how available it is (I had the same problem digging up clear info on Crinone gel and I was able to get it, and covered by my insurance, too...small miracles.)

Thanks Hurdity!