Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vertigo and stress  (Read 2015 times)

Justjules

Vertigo and stress
« on: March 15, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »

Turned over in bed early this morning suddenly and brought on horrendous vertigo, even my eyes wouldn't keep still, horrible feeling but I've had it once before many years ago so tried not to panic. Is easing off a lot now but can it make your legs feel weak and heart race/thump a bit?  Had a bad few weeks at work, job changing duties thanks to a so-called 'friend' which will put extra work on me and got worked up about it all and then DH booked our annual holiday to Spain last night which, is supposed to be something to look forward to, but in my case causes anxiety, so not very good at the mo and then this, this morning.  Been googling it and of course, could be heart related which is another fear ..... I'd just like to feel ok for a day now and again!

On top of that, had a pain in my back in the middle of back on the left radiating through to stomach, or vice versa, not sure, for over a week, so HA going into overdrive worrying what that us. Bit like I had last year when I had the pancreatic cancer heebie geebies.... still getting the odd warm, buzzing wave/faint feeling through body when doing something physical so the thought of all that walking through the airport and walking on holiday is already stressing me out!

Thanks for any advice and apologies for whingeing x

Megamind

Re: Vertigo and stress
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 01:54:05 PM »

Vertigo was recently discussed on this thread:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35073.0.html

I have turned over in bed and had that feeling a few times but it was when I had a head cold or ear infection so I put it down to that. I expect your weak legs and racing heart are due to your anxiety. I haven't heard of vertigo being heart related?

I would say your back pain sounds muscular and if you're tense and stressing that will cause tight muscles and if you're going to bed stressing about your job, you are probably quite tense while asleep.

Try not to stress about going on holiday. Hopefully you will relax while on holiday and won't start to panic when walking etc. It does all sound like anxiety to me. I have a family member suffering quite badly at the moment from anxiety, it can be quite debilitating. They're awaiting CBT.

Justjules

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:10:30 PM »

Aaaah, thanks Megamind. Saw that post after I posted duh  ::). Horrible thing. I'm still waiting for some further CBT which should be more intensive.

It's hard not to get worked up about work. Can't cope with changes, brain can't keep up with new procedures and losing my confidence as my 'friend' runs rings around me but is full of energy and isn't 40 yet. Saw something on an email the other day that said they wanted her to oversee something as they weren't confident in me doing it, so zero confudence!! I just feel like the old fossil in the corner nowadays and feel they would be relieved if I just gave in my notice to be honest. I used to be a really efficient secretary, now people don't need them and it's all admin based and data inputting which I hate. Think my body just said "sod 'em" today!!!  :'( x

Megamind

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 02:19:25 PM »

I'm lucky I work with women all of a similar age so we're all feeling the meno brain and forgetful! I sometimes have a total blank at work when my boss asks me where something is, it makes me feel unconfident as well. I used to be so efficient and organised. Luckily I only work part time as I know the way I feel lately, I would not be able to cope with full time work. I'm not surprised your confidence was knocked seeing that email. Sounds like you're definitely in need of  your holiday to Spain and hopefully you can recharge your batteries?

Justjules

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »

That's much better. The average age in my office is 32!!! I only work 4 days but that's too much. No chance of reducing though unfortunately.

Yes, holiday will be good once there. Middle of May so not far away.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »

As you will have read the most common reason for the revolving bed as I call it is benigh positional vertigo.  For many years I could not lay in bed on my left side or the room spun but it did go away eventually.  IF you have ever had viral labyrinthitis in the past ( severe vertigo lasting from days to weeks) then stress and tiredness can bring it on for a short time. I know so many people who this has happened to even many years after the original viral illness.
I have a heart conditions SVT which causes my heart to suddenly beat very fast for a short time and I go very faint but I never go dizzy, the two are totally different.