Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Perimenopausal  (Read 3404 times)

CAT ON LAP

Perimenopausal
« on: March 08, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »

Hi,

I'm new. I turn 46 this year and didn't realize at first that i was starting to get the odd symptoms last summer. Now i have quite a few but i still have periods, although they are getting lighter and a bit irregular although monthly still. Thankfully a lady doctor at my surgery has been lovely, she recommended menopause matters and i've been prescribed topical oestrogen down below. I get flushed especially when anxious but i don't sweat (yet), my sleep has really got worse. I often feel very hormonal, tearful and my self esteem is shakey. My hubby is lovely and my eldest daughter but it would be lovely to chat with people going through the same thing. I knew this would happen but i didn't expect it for another couple of years. Thanks Cat on lap

Hurdity

Re: Perimenopausal
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:44:37 PM »

Hi CAT ON LAP

:welcomemm: and I like your name! :cat88:

There's an article about the peri-menopause here that you might like to read and loads of other useful information on the main website :)  https://menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:05:59 PM »

:welcomemm: ...... do you have a  :cat88: :cat48: :catscratch: ?

Browse round.  Make notes.  Hang onto the GP  ;)

You may well need HRT to protect heart and bones too.  Some ladies find keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.  Do ask if anything worries you!

Jollidays

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:02:39 PM »

Hi I'm new too ! I'm 49 and the past 6 months have really taken me by surprise. I too knew it was coming but feel as if I'm losing a grip on my personality! I've been so low I'm on an antidepressant, my confidence is very shaky and I'm a stress head when before I was known for being calm and chirpy😬. I don't want to moan but I've noticed sagging boobs and a hairy chin !!! I usually find the funny side in life and the tablets are now working after 4 weeks but OMG , I can't stand it. Ps while I'm on a roll ... I'm awake in the night after waking up sweating 😞 I know this is all normal but I need to talk to you all.

CAT ON LAP

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 07:31:50 PM »

Hi, thanks for all the lovely replids and the info which i'll read tonight.☺I'm looking forward to having a good look around the forum later, i'm so glad the doctor new about it. I've been quite amazed at how it has thrown me. I'd heard it was like a second puberty but until now i'd forgotten just how bad that is. Two years ago i was diagnosed with aspergers which was really great, since then i've been forgiving myself for my previous low self esteem and caring for myself  as i do my youngest child who is autistic. Now i feel like i'm learning to accept myself all over again. Whisker watch, dry eyes and increased skin sensitivity are making me paranoid about my appearance again. Like you Jollidays, i usually laugh through things but its taking some effort at the moment. Lack of sleep compounds the lot. ☺

Jollidays

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »

As women we have so much to cope with,it's lovely to have started making connections with others who are prob sitting at home in their pjs trying to cope too! Thanks cat in lap it's nice to know you are out there x

CAT ON LAP

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »

Lol, in pjs always! It definitely helps knowing others are out there. Sometimes i have no energy whatsoever and just want to curl up and sleep and thats not after a terrible nights sleep. It's been eye opening reading through the forum.

samweller161

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »

Welcome Cat on Lap !  Love the name, we have two cats but they prefer husbands lap to mine  :'(

I think I have replied on your other thread but wanted to say welcome too

Sp x

CAT ON LAP

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »

Hi Smirking Pixie,

We have two cats, more my boys, two dogs, more the hubbies, youngest has two rabbits and us parents have bees and four goats, two of which are extremely pregnant. ☺

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 10:41:05 PM »

Hi cat on the lap and jollidays! X
Tweezers are your best friend Jollidays! It's great isn't it?

jollidays- have you considered HRT ? It can help although you might need to try a few before you get the right combo to suit you. If you decide to go down this route you may have to educate your GP so be warned.
Yes- antidepressants- a lot of us have been given them but did you know that a significant number of women don't need them and the cause of low mood etc is down to hormones and for peri and menopausal women, the NICE guidelines advise HRT as the first line of defence. Yet, they are handed out like sweeties and this is disgusting. Some women will need them in addition but most cases are down to hormones. This is a great site- have a read and browse around. Interesting reading on professor john studds website too. X

Jollidays

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »

Hi michelemabelle thanks for the welcome  :) I'm going to look up the NICE guidelines this weekend as I am thinking about it, the problem for me is when I was having horrendous periods one Gp offered HRT but it was so casual , just over the phone when I was ringing up for the results of a scan. I managed to get a face to face appointment with a different young female Gp and she wasn't keen at all although very caring... so now I'm thinking if things get worse I should discuss it again with her. It would be easier if I was having one symptom that was unmanageable and I would go for it but everything is just low grade difficulties. ... as you can tell it's a worry. I hope you and cat in lap are having a good Saturday morning x

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 09:48:29 PM »

Hello jollidays-yes it all seems low grade and unrelated to start with. A  new daily symptom is the norm. It really is up to you but if you do want to consider HRT you need to be firm and you may need to try a few before you start to feel better. I'm still at this stage 16 months on but I'll keep going until I start to feel better. you need to find some regime that works for you. One of the best things about this site is that you realise you're not alone and you're not a mad moaning faced old git. E.g. Kept getting sporadic pains in my ankles/ foot and was limping about- didn't have a clue what was causing it. oestrogen receptors in the ankle so I'm a bit more relaxed about it now that I know what it is.
Get a referral to a menopause clinic if you can and don't be fobbed off. Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 11:18:06 PM »

what are oestrogen receptors  :-\

Love the expression 'whiskers'  ;D - I have a thread here somewhere  ::)

CAT ON LAP

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »

Hi, i'm new to oestrogen receptors too😁

Well i went back to GP today, thanked her for the referral to MM and recommended she put something up about it in the waiting room. As of next period i'm starting on Evorel Sequi, crossed fingers it helps. 😊

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 08:21:21 PM »

http://healthdoctrine.com/hormone-receptors-and-estrogen-receptors-in-human-body/ ladies who wants to know all about oestrogen receptors- the attached link is the simplest explanation I can find x
Pages: [1] 2