Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Confused Newbie here..... I thought  (Read 3763 times)

Sandy1

Confused Newbie here..... I thought
« on: March 08, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »

I thought that as us ladies got to that certain stage in life we were supposed to start drying up?

I seem to be going in the opposite direction, my skin is very greasy now and the pores are all pre spots  :'(  I wasn't like this as a teenager and now at the age of 55 i'm using clearasil.  >:( 

What is going on?

A little history:

• 55 years old
    Waiting for a hysterectomy because of heavy prolonged periods and fibroids
    I used to know exactly when a period was due, you could set your watch by my monthly cycle but now i haven't got a clue what i will be in for or how long it's going to last or when it will happen  :'(
    I have developed the inability to digest food.... obviously i still eat but the heartburn is horrible
    No energy anymore, i remember my body used to be strong and i could do most things without giving it a thought

Blood tests all come back pretty normal, shows i'm peri menopause and my hormones are a bit wonky.

I feel i'm being tortured by my own body  :-\

samweller161

Re: Confused Newbie here..... I thought
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 01:35:13 PM »

Sounds about right, spots do come for some people unfortunately!  You do sound quite text book ..... you've done well to get to 55 with no symptoms (I presume, from reading your post?).

Do you have any particular thoughts on HRT?  It suits a lot of ladies.  Have a read around all the options on this website and then you can go armed to your GP?

Sp x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:59:12 PM »

Because oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = reflux/heartburn.  It is a common time for ladies to develop hiatus hernia!  ::) so have a look-see on the shelves in the Pharmacy and try a few relief pills, I use Rennies successfully.  Also I don't eat/drink too late to going to bed otherwise the reflex begins and it is AWFUL.  Some nights I wake with indigestion, going into my chin, neck, gut .......

Sandy1

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 06:32:11 AM »

Thank you ladies for your support and understanding

I don't have a date yet for the hysterectomy, i really thought i would have had it by now, i was told 3 months wait but it's been over 4 now.  I have decided that i will have everything removed including my ovaries, my uterus is huge with 3 good size fibroids. I swear the uterus is pressing on my bowel and causing other problems with going to the bathroom, can this happen?

Oh i forgot to mention the migraines, they are dreadful and so debilitating, they seem to happen up to 3 times a month.  :-\ I have been having them for almost 15 years and i have worked out it's defiantly  the hormones.

I am originally from Scotland and have now lived in Australia for the past 6 years. Getting medical care in Scotland was so easy, you had your family doctor and that's who cared for you through all of lifes up's and down's. And the National Health Service is second to none in my option. Here in Australia i just haven't found the doctor that makes me feel like they care and if you do find a good one they move on and you never see them again.  :'(

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 06:59:45 AM »

I started off this way greasy/ spots .....then all dried up and now have Vaginal atrophy.

on HRT now.

Sandy1

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:29:28 AM »

Hi Maryjane

How long did it take to get from greasy to atrophy?

Is it a drawn out journey or was it quick for you?

Maryjane

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 08:51:15 AM »

Can't say for definite as I didn't realise it was slowly changing , but about 2 years ish.

Sandy1

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 10:45:10 AM »

thanks for that Maryjane, the more info i can get hopefully the less surprises/shocks i will have  :o   ;D   ;)

clarebear

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »

I see from reading this post that quite a few ladies get or used to get migraines. I've had them for the past 38 years and I'm 50 now. I suffer with chronic migraines and get them almost every day. I am not taking any medication because literally nothing works, I used to have Botox but that's stopped working too. Yes migraines are debilitating and almost a way of life for me now, but I am intrigued, what do other people use to get rid of theirs ? Thanks in advance.

matildamouse

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 03:05:49 AM »

I have decided that i will have everything removed including my ovaries, my uterus is huge with 3 good size fibroids. I swear the uterus is pressing on my bowel and causing other problems with going to the bathroom, can this happen?

Oh i forgot to mention the migraines, they are dreadful and so debilitating, they seem to happen up to 3 times a month.  :-\ I have been having them for almost 15 years and i have worked out it's defiantly  the hormones.

I am originally from Scotland and have now lived in Australia for the past 6 years. Getting medical care in Scotland was so easy, you had your family doctor and that's who cared for you through all of lifes up's and down's. And the National Health Service is second to none in my option. Here in Australia i just haven't found the doctor that makes me feel like they care and if you do find a good one they move on and you never see them again.  :'(

I also have fibroids which are pressing on my bowel as well bladder causing symptoms with both. No fun! ::) Are you over east? I know a good GP for menopause but only in WA!

2cats

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »

Clarebear - to answer your question as to what others use to treat migraine, I thought I would let you know that after reading a book called the Migraine Brain, I am now trying 150mg Co-enzyme 10 and 400mg of B2 every day for 3 months to see if they have any effect on reducing intensity and frequency.
I also have Almotriptan which works at stopping one (usually) once started.
Last September I took 25mg per day of Topirimate ( a preventative) which worked at that low dose within a few days.  Downside for me was that I became very weepy, down in the dumps and anxious.  So after 7 weeks I stopped, though I do feel it changed something for the better regarding what was causing some of the migraines and which has remained up till now. 
I would recommend the book The Migraine Brain or the The Migraine Trust website.
 :)

Sandy1

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 11:28:50 AM »

I also have fibroids which are pressing on my bowel as well bladder causing symptoms with both. No fun! ::) Are you over east? I know a good GP for menopause but only in WA!

[/quote]

Sorry Matildamouse, i didn't see your post, so sorry :-\    I am in WA too, I live in Rockingham which is about an hour South of Perth.

Well I go in for my hysterectomy on the 8th June, i'm trying to be positive about it all and expect it all to go as planned.  There is a little niggle of anxiety in the back of my mind but i'm trying to ignore it.  :-\