Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Just started hot flashes. Oh joy!  (Read 2332 times)

Rockgurl

Just started hot flashes. Oh joy!
« on: May 31, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »

I had noticed lately that I have been having night sweats. It started I think last summer but I put it down to it being hot and that the AC wasn't working as well. But in the past few months the night sweats have gotten worse particularly after drinking wine. A couple days ago I noticed that I had an actual hot flash because I was awake. It wasn't terribly intense but there was no mistaking it. It lasted a few minutes but since then it's been happening more frequently. Should I expect them to become more intense? I take Black Cohosh and estriol.

nearly50

Re: Just started hot flashes. Oh joy!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 12:53:08 PM »

Hi Rockgurl and welcome to the forum :)

Everyone's so different and people's experiences of hot flushes seems to be different too. You could maybe keep a diary to work out when you are getting flushes - in the early days I was getting night sweats just before my period, though now they seem to be far less predictable. I can't really work out any triggers for my hot flushes either, and mine only affect me right hand side which is mad.  You would be able to work out if drinking wine also makes hot flushes worse. Hopefully yours won't get any more intense!

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 08:20:04 AM »

Hi rockgurl

I answered on your introductory thread. Many women try Black Cohosh - i did as well. I did think it worked but in reality it was my own cycle coming and going, since, as I got further towards menopause - it stopped working and flushes and sweats were unbearable so started HRT which I've been on for 10 years! I think there are questions over long term use of Black Cohosh too? There is some information on this website: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/otherpreps.php (scroll down for Black Cohosh info).

Hurdity x

Rockgurl

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »

Thank you and hello to all. Yes, I'm on the Black Cohosh. It's hard to tell if it's making a difference because the hot flashes have only recently started. I think perhaps the night sweats are slightly improved though. I know the wine is a trigger but I'll be darned if I give up my Friday night glass of Chardonnay! Last night I didn't have any wine at all but I had three hot flashes just sitting in bed watching TV. It's such a weird feeling. I am on HRT but unfortunately not estrogen because I have endometriosis, but I do use an estriol cream that I bought on Amazon. I figured a weak estrogen is better than no estrogen at all!