Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Deciding whether to attend breast screening  (Read 6946 times)

ellie66

Re: Deciding whether to attend breast screening
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »

Too many false positives for my liking and unnecessary treatments. It is  a rare cancer. Angela Raffle epidemiologist did some research you have to screen something like 1000 women for 35 years to prevent 1 case of cervical cancer. Screening is not for me. I would never agree to any screening. I get very cross and upset about constantly being harassed over my decision.

ellie66

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »

CLKD read Dr Margaret McCartney's book.A Patient Paradox it explains the screening issues. Margaret is a GP in Glassgow. It is available on Kindle or in soft book.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 06:40:47 PM »

:thankyou:  but I don't understand your statement: "It is a rare cancer"  :  :-\

Maybe it's a bit like "What Vets Don't Tell You About Vaccinations"  ;)

ellie66

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »

Cervical cancer is a rare cancer with the same prevalence as mouth and anal cancer. See Cancer Research UK web site for stats.

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »

Sorry but I don't work on stats .  ;) which can prove what ever the statistician wants to prove ...... having worked for some who were after Research Grants  ::) I tend to talk to people who have real experience. 

Megamind

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 06:48:42 PM »

Too many false positives for my liking and unnecessary treatments. It is  a rare cancer. Angela Raffle epidemiologist did some research you have to screen something like 1000 women for 35 years to prevent 1 case of cervical cancer. Screening is not for me. I would never agree to any screening. I get very cross and upset about constantly being harassed over my decision.

It's rare in woman under the age of 25 which is why they raised the screening age but those that did get it under 25 tend to campaign to get the age limit lowered. When I was young, you definitely were invited at an earlier age than 25 although I can't remember what age.

I'm sorry you get cross and upset and constantly harrassed over your decision. Like I have said, everyone is different and it's personal choice but I think it's normal for people to ask you why you made your decision, if you don't want to explain or answer just say so.

ellie66

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »

These are real simple stats just tell you the amount of cervical cancer in the general population which is the same as mouth and anal cancer. The stats are collected by the Cancer Research Registry on behalf of the NHS.

ellie66

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »

Was it actual cancer or CIN3 which is different.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:42 PM »

I think this is a different topic as I suggested previously.  Many cancers are more 'common' than breast disease but don't have the funding due to breasts being 'in the public eye' as it were so awareness can be raised: I wish that at the same time, other diseases were brought into view but as each is funded separately  ::) ......... I know 3 people who died of ovarian cancer as it's known as 'the silent killer' - 1 died a week after diagnosis  :'(.

I think it is importatnt for us all to keep talking and debating regardless .........

Claireylou

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 07:04:41 PM »

Cin 3 cells will never revert back to normal without treatment to remove them, they'll turn into cancer. According to my consultant xx

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »

:thankyou:

ellie66

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2017, 07:06:34 PM »

30% of CIN3 will return to normal my Consultant at UCLH said.

ellie66

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »

Whoops wrong way round 70% will 30% will progress.

ellie66

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »

Here CIN2/3 MAY develop into cancer from the organization that trains gynecologist to be Colposcopists. https://www.bsccp.org.uk/women/frequently-asked

I suspect they had CIN rather than cancer.

ellie66

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »

Vaccine okay but would be worried about side effects and the fact protection declines after around 15 years or so.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4