Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estrogen only  (Read 1609 times)

Cassie

Estrogen only
« on: March 02, 2017, 09:33:13 AM »

Morning ladies, I read an article and yes I know, we cannot believe everything we read on the net, that said taking Estrogen only HRT can contribute to heart issues  long term as in issues with  prolonged QT interval, arrythmias etc my question being....for someone taking a rub on gel daily combined with Progesterone but for only a few days of the month, would this count as combined HRT?
Sorry to sound dim, but am thinking, that on the days one uses the Estrogen part only could those be days whereby you are opening yourself to arrythmias and problems only to be protected on the days where you are using the progesterone part....does this make any sense....was not sure what classified as Estrogen only therapy.
Surely then a HRT such as Triphasal would not be prescribed as it is Estrogen only and am sure many ladies use Estrogen without Progesterone, with no issues....just trying to make head or tail of my understanding.... :-\ Perhaps I got it wrong, will need to find it and have another read.

Cassie

Re: Estrogen only
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »

Hurdity.....could you maybe give your input here, think you are also on a long shift estrogen only then a short shift progesterone, is this considered an Estrogen only cycle or combined, am just a tad confused.... :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »

Hi Cassie - sorry I don't really understand - was it from a site trying to sell progesterone cream or a scientific study, ideally a trial? If the latter please can you post a link? If the former - forget it! Oestrogen as part of HRT is supposed to provide protection to the heart and cardiovascular system especially when given around the time of menopause and ideally within 5 years but no more than 10 years of menopause -  the so-called "window of opportunity" before the lack of oestrogen causes some hardening of the arteries, I don't know about arrythmias - I know that palpitations are one of the menopause symptoms of low oestrogen, and I gather that extremely high doses of oestrogen can also affect the heart (not sure about this?) - but as for the oestrogen only vs O + P - I have no idea. Oestrogen only HRT usually means never taking progesterone - so it will be women who have hysterectomies  - not long cycle HRT - but I would have to see the context.

Hurdity x

Dana

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 08:46:39 PM »

I suspect that what you read probably came from a site that is either selling compounded hormones, progesterone cream or some kind of whacky alternative herbal remedy. Those sites are very good at making up "studies" to support their desire to sell you something.

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 05:58:25 AM »

Thankyou , I came across it on the net, but it was a medical paper that I read saying exactly what you have said, Hurdity,  that higher doses of Oestrogen only, without using Progesterone can cause heart issues, but I guess that would have to be in excess of what we usually get in our gels, patches etc. They spoke about the possibilities of ERT (estrogen replacement therapy) causing issues, but that PERT (Progesterone/Estrogen therapy) was the safer option for cardiac issues, I was just confused as to whether long cycles, where one uses only Estrogen for a few weeks, then adds the Progesterone, would be considered as an Estrogen only protocol.  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 03:03:30 PM »

Hi again Cassie - can you find the reference and give a link please? The paper should be explicit about what they mean by "oestrogen only" and PERT in relation to the research.

Hurdity x

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »

Hurdity this is a link, not exactly the one I read but similiar, was wondering if taking Progesterone cyclically as many do, would count as being protective.... :-\

http://news.feinberg.northwestern.edu/2003/07/estrogen_therapy