Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I've decided I will do HRT for osteoporosis so I need advice  (Read 9958 times)

Sarai

I've decided I will do HRT for osteoporosis so I need advice
« on: March 04, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »

So this a a biggy for me, I've decided I will try hrt for osteoporosis.
I am 55 and just post meno.
I've read that an ultra low dose oestrogen works fine for osteoporosis so can anybody advise what ask for.
Psychologically I feel a patch or cream would be best for me.
I really need a lot of advice please

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: I've decided I will do HRT for osteoporosis so I need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

I wonder whether you have read the Osteoporosis Forum - sorry I can't remember the title but if you GOOGLE for UK Osteoporosis support it should take you to the correct place where you can read, join and post queries.

I had a look-see - The National Osteoporosis Society - there is a web-site and the opportunity to sign up to a newsletter ..... let us know how you get on!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:15:08 PM by CLKD »

Sarai

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »

Yes I have talked a few times to NOS nurses they are very good.
I just thought this group was where I would find good hrt info

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 04:28:24 PM »

You need to ask on the NOS as they will be au fai with HRT suitable for those who have been diagnosed with osteoporosis.

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 04:42:20 PM »

Can see it was a difficult decision. Well done for taking it. That's not meant to sound patronising as it isn't - I dithered for a long time before taking systemic HRT, and it was good to be able to talk to people on here who got that. I think Stellajane knows her stuff on bones and HRT.

Sarai

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »

Hasty yes I do have a womb so I know I will need progesterone it's just I read a gynae article that said a very low dose of oestrogen was adequate for the bones.

Sarai

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 04:48:12 PM »

Ancient runner I know what you mean, it was very hard.
I wanted to manage without and did all the way past meno but hey lucky me got this instead.

Sarai

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 06:25:28 PM »

Stellajane I looked at the hrt but non had information like they were licensed for osteoporosis, did I read the wrong section?

Sarai

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 08:24:06 PM »

Stella Jane I didn't realise there was a star. Do you use it for osteo too

Dana

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »

I honestly believe you take the medication that is designed for the problem - depression = antidepressants; menopause = HRT; and for loss of bone density you take the appropriate medications eg alendronic acid or similar.

I am of the understanding that you need to be on a medium dose of HRT for it to have any benefit for bone density, so an "ultra low" dose may have no impact at all.

Sorry, but you seem to have this mindset that everything has to come with absolutely no possible side effects or risks, but that is just not practical.  Every medication comes with some kind of risk.

However the risks you are facing from osteopenia and osteoporosis are a far greater clear and present danger than taking bone density medications. I take Fosamax and I have absolutely no side effects at all. In fact the only side effect I have is that my bone density is much better.

The choice is yours of course, but I honestly think that, while HRT may assist with the problem, you also need to be taking the medication that is actually designed for your condition.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 10:30:18 PM »

I agree with Dana!

I know how difficult it was for me to accept that I have to take anti-depressant medication for the rest of my Life but most days I remain well and am able to go out and about with my husband.  I was scared to take medication in case it made me feel worse ....... I was scared to eat in case I felt worse.  It was Very Hard Work! but 10 years down the line, I am a different person.

Read up as much as you can Sarai, contact those at the NOS and make notes of advice here.  If you are able, brisk walking 10-20 mins. daily will help! 

Cassie

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »

Am I doing something wrong, I click on the  Treatments block but it wont take me in? Am also wanting to look at options for low dose hrt am thinking the patches will deliver the least compared to any other forms of hrt?

Jenna

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »

Hi Cassie - if you just hover the mouse on 'Treatments', you should then have a drop down menu which includes  'HRT Preparations'. If you click on this, you should get the various products. The only thing is I have the American version for some reason! It was the same yesterday as well!

Sorry, but I don't know the answer about low dose treatments, but I am sure someone will be along soon to help.

Sarai

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »

I have talked to the NOS and HRT is on their list of treatments for osteo and it always was the first line treatment as it's oestrogen that is the main factor in the osteo equation, though I know obviously other things like steroids can also wreck the bones.
My friend has severe osteo but after her first fracture she did 8 years of HRT on dr advice and was fine, it was after she quit and got no more advice that the problems began again.
And yes I do want no side effects, health anxiety has blighted me all my life, don't berate me for it. I can't help how I feel about the possible issues with bisphosphonates and I have a very sensitive system, I'm the twit, called one in a million by the drug company for getting a reaction to vitamin D.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 03:39:21 PM »

Maybe Sarai: make a list of your symptoms, what you need to achieve as well as any worries about side effects.  It took me about 3 lots of anti-depressant medication B4 we found one that helped.  It's easy to pre-empt side effects but every medication has side effects: otherwise they wouldn't work  ::).  However, when we feel fragile and then get bombed by feeling worse  >:(.

Let us know what you decide  :-\  ???
Pages: [1] 2 3