Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New here  (Read 943 times)

Plum

New here
« on: February 24, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »

Hi,
I was told this was a very good site for ladies having to deal with menopause, so here I am :)
I'm 43 and began getting heavy periods 2 years ago and was given tranexamic acid. Then last summer I had a weird episode where I felt panic/fear/shaking and just not myself. It didn't go away so dr put me on anti depressants. I've been on those in the past for anxiety and depression but this felt different. It did lighten a bit but I kept pushing for more tests and finally got them to do the FSH test which came back as 20.
Everything I read seems familiar and I am so so glad that it isn't just me going nuts!
Anyway, I'm looking forward to chatting to you all :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »

Another GP who uses ADs instead of discussing menopause symptoms ? ! ?  :bang:

Browse round.  Make notes.  At your age you may well require a form of HRT to protect heart and bones!  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.

Ask away!   :welcomemm:

Plum

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »

Thank you CLKD :)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »

Hi Plum

:welcomemm: from me too.

What has your cycle been doing ie is it still regular or have you been going longer between periods? Often pms symptoms worsen before peri-menopause starts and hormones begin to go awry - even though blood tests may be "normal" - not all hormones are tested. Also results vary according to when in the cycle they were taken.

I am surprised you were dished out ADs after one weird episode which does sound like a physiological/physical event - unless there was a particular reason for it?

Have you thought of trying the contracpetive pill to regulate your cycle ( instead of the ADs)? There is one called QLAIRA and another ZOELY which contain estradiol the same oestrogen as in HRT and only have a few tablet free days. Some gynaecologists recommend these at this stage, rather than HRT because your oestrogen levels may well still be fine if your periods are regular - but just beginning to fluctuate somewhat giving rise to strange symptoms you experienced.

Hurdity x