Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Pattern of bleeding  (Read 1306 times)

lizjane

Pattern of bleeding
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »

Can anyone please shed light on the latest development of my meno journey? 55, 10 month period free, when I started bleeding every other day. Now, 8 weeks later, the bleeding (more than a spot, more of a splat) is happening every day at the same time (early afternoon) tails off to brown, then stops in the evening. Then every night I wake up at 4.00 with a hot flush.
This pattern is clear and regular.
Can't get to see a GP, it's a 3 week wait for an appointment and a 6 week wait for a hospital referral.
I just wondered if this sort of thing has happened to anyone else and if so, what was the cause?

Machair

Re: Pattern of bleeding
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:57:36 PM »

Lizjane you must be so fed up with this. I really understand your concerns as being 56 myself and still not menopausal yet it can be a worrying journey. There are so many possibilities for your issues, so I would ask the GP his advice before assuming, as 8 weeks is a long time. It could be you have built up a lining over the 10 months, as even without ovulation you can still have oestrogen active and unopposed, which I believe is common, but just to be sure I would get checked out. Have you had any signs over the last year of hormones- eg breast tenderness, stretchy mucus etc?

Hurdity

Re: Pattern of bleeding
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 03:22:36 PM »

Hi lizjane

As Machair says it is likely to be anovulatory bleeding due to build up of womb lining from oestrogen without ovulation and periods over the last few months (follicles start to develop but don't reach maturity - in the meantime they produce some oestrogen before dying). As you are 55 and almost at the limit for such bleeding to count as post-menopausal - maybe your doc would want to give you a scan although you probably would not qualify under the two week referral rule (if you had gone 12 months without a period, then you could book an emergency appt and be seen within a week and hospital referral within 2 weeks - this is the protocol).

I was 53.5 when I had my last natural period and went on to HRT at almost 54 so I have no idea whether something similar would have happened to me had I not started HRT!

The hot flush is an indication of oestrogen falling - so maybe this is the last shedding? (or maybe not  ::) )

Hurdity x