Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Itchy boobs  (Read 8420 times)

groundhog

Itchy boobs
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:52:21 PM »

Hi ladies

As you know my hysterectomy and Ovary removal was completely overshadowed by my bowel perforation.  But I have noticed I have itchy boobs almost to the point of exzema.  I have Googled this and it has frightened me as it does but it's both breasts and I'm wondering if this is likely to be menopause related?
Thank you xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Itchy boobs
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »

STOP Googling.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body dries, inside and out: skin included.  Mine itchy occasionally so I apply a baby lotion or Savlon

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 12:46:37 PM »

If you google anything to do with breasts it says cancer  ::)

As CLKD says you can get dry skin inside and out.  There is something called mammary duct ecstasia which is basically dead cells in the ducts that do not flush out as they used to and may cause symptoms of irritation in patches, a bit like mastitis without any infection and can even turn into mastitis if you are really unlucky.  I have had something like this after my first (rather unpleasant -the ones I have had since, and there have been a few to many  :o , have been a walk in the park) mammogram  and sometimes after I have had a hormonal blip and it hasn't cleared well.

The best thing I have found is to wear a very comfortable and supportive bra (like gold dust) that does not try to push you into any particular unnatural shape, no matter how subtly, and if you have sore bits to take some ibuprofen to reduce any inflammation.  I have had my annoying breast mammogrammed and ultrasounded very very thoroughly and the conclusion was that it was hormonal and no connection to cancer at all, but with the mixed message of getting referred back asap if there is anything problem (I think they say that to everyone  ;) ).

The other thing is to use a skin wash for eczema, like dermol (OTC) which dermatologists seem to like for most things or Aveno.  I think you can get a cheap E45 one.  They are like a moisturiser that you use like a soap (or moisturise with as well in the case of dermol).  I have found my skin is much more delicate, especially underneath.  And pat dry gently.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:48:11 PM by dahliagirl »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »

I find that they itch deep under the nipple surface sometimes, impossible to scratch  >:(

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »

Yep  >:(  and the itchy patches on the skin too.

I have a small definite itchy patch at the moment that is flakey, like eczema.  I am putting sudocrem on it and keeping an eye on it.  Not a clue where that has come from.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  ::)

Silly

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 05:37:10 PM »

STOP Googling.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body dries, inside and out: skin included.  Mine itchy occasionally so I apply a baby lotion or Savlon

I have the tickling sometimes inside, do we after five years past last period still have any hormones that can cause this CLKD?   I too Google I hate it and it's true everything refers to cancer, x

Silly

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 05:39:11 PM »

If you google anything to do with breasts it says cancer  ::)

As CLKD says you can get dry skin inside and out.  There is something called mammary duct ecstasia which is basically dead cells in the ducts that do not flush out as they used to and may cause symptoms of irritation in patches, a bit like mastitis without any infection and can even turn into mastitis if you are really unlucky.  I have had something like this after my first (rather unpleasant -the ones I have had since, and there have been a few to many  :o , have been a walk in the park) mammogram  and sometimes after I have had a hormonal blip and it hasn't cleared well.

The best thing I have found is to wear a very comfortable and supportive bra (like gold dust) that does not try to push you into any particular unnatural shape, no matter how subtly, and if you have sore bits to take some ibuprofen to reduce any inflammation.  I have had my annoying breast mammogrammed and ultrasounded very very thoroughly and the conclusion was that it was hormonal and no connection to cancer at all, but with the mixed message of getting referred back asap if there is anything problem (I think they say that to everyone  ;) ).

I agree about bras Dahliagirl.  I was wearing in wired that in the end after bending down gave me four breasts  ;D so after getting a fitted one my pain has gone I swear it was ill fitting bra. X
The other thing is to use a skin wash for eczema, like dermol (OTC) which dermatologists seem to like for most things or Aveno.  I think you can get a cheap E45 one.  They are like a moisturiser that you use like a soap (or moisturise with as well in the case of dermol).  I have found my skin is much more delicate, especially underneath.  And pat dry gently.

Silly

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 05:41:18 PM »

::) my reply went wrong, I never get the hang of quoting.  I think buying a fitted bra wired separating them has made my burning pain go, I swear it was the poor fitted bra I'd bought I think it squashed them too much x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 07:57:52 PM »

85% of women are wearing the WRONG sized bra.!!!! so getting fitted correctly and even this can vary between Companies .  Me, however, haven't worn one for years  ;)

It would never cross my mind to GOOGLE other than for specific stuff i.e. last night it was 'albinism' after watching a programme.  I usually go to an NHS web-site or a couple of US ones, i.e. Mayo Clinic ....... anything that mentions cancer or is negative I dismiss  ::)

Ricrac

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »

Hi. I too have been suffering lately with incredibly itchy breasts which developed into an infection inside which felt so like the mastitis I had when breast feeding years ago. The doctor gave me antibiotics and didn't seem to have a clue, it didn't help!
I've since read about the changes in the breasts during menopause and now it all makes sense. I get real pain behind the nipples and the most frustrating itch inside. Ive since seen a homeopathic doctor with good results. I can also recommend nettle tea and taking omega 3

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »

Not just me then  ::)

I got rid of my eczema patch with a bit of hydrocortisone in the end.  I am using the E45, and dermol (also useful elsewhere).

The good fitting bra seems important - I am finding that as my breast tissue reduces, I am needing a more generous cup (make sense of that if you can  :-\) and more of a full cup - but so many bras seem to be made to shape you rather than support.

The itch comes back with the wrong bra and a hormonal blip.